Mobile menu

Off topic: Bipolar Disorder - Is it that common?
Thread poster: xxxSarah Bracan
xxxSarah Bracan
Local time: 02:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 21, 2007

It was brought to my attention that a community group of people claiming to have the disorder reached a number higher than 300,000. I thought to myself: Is Bipolar Disorder that common? Well, the answer is no. Only 1% of the world's population is known to have this malady. What might be confusing people is the thought that Bipolar Disorder is simply an alteration in mood from high to low. Naturally, if that was the case we would ALL be bipolars. However, Bipolar Disorder involves more than just a high-low state of mood. It envolves hallucinations, delusions, spending sprees of useless utensils, grandiose ideas, in the manic phase. And in the depressive phase it involves lack of physical strength, oversleeping, loss of interest in activities formerly enjoyed by the individual amongst others. As you can see, Bipolar Disorder is not that common and highly misdiagnosed. To solve the problem, bipolars of the world are creating a Bipolar Awareness Day. Which I find of supreme importance to the medical field and to the lives of the patients suffering from Bipolar Disorder.

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 06:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
agreement Oct 23, 2007

I agree with you!

Bipolar disorder is often misdiagnosed as depression, because the hyperactive phase is not recognised. Many sufferers do not get the right diagnosis for years.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:10
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Manic-depressive Oct 26, 2007

I believe that the condition today known as "bi-polar" used to be known as "manic-depressive". When I first heard "bi-polar" about 10 years ago, I thought it was something new, but it seems to be just a new name for an old condition - correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps the expression "bi-polar" is perceived as less "mad" ("insane" in the USA)?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bipolar Disorder - Is it that common?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs