Off topic: Receiving via profile many emails from new users requesting information/advice; you too?
Thread poster: Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:15
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Oct 24, 2007

Dear all

During the last 2-3 months I am receiving (via proz.profile) many emails from new users, all over the world, requesting information, advice, suggestions about translation business on proz. and opinions over the proz. membership usefulness, let me specify that this does not bore me at all.
I simply am surprised, since I am a simple regular member and I don't feel qualified for this kind of information, advice, suggestions.

I just would like to know f
... See more
Dear all

During the last 2-3 months I am receiving (via proz.profile) many emails from new users, all over the world, requesting information, advice, suggestions about translation business on proz. and opinions over the proz. membership usefulness, let me specify that this does not bore me at all.
I simply am surprised, since I am a simple regular member and I don't feel qualified for this kind of information, advice, suggestions.

I just would like to know for mere curiosity if this also happens to other regular members, I mean the ones who are not moderators.

Thank you for your opinions and feedback.

Best wishes to all of you!

Angio

[Edited at 2007-10-24 11:46]
Collapse

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Same here Oct 24, 2007

Hi Angioletta,

I have received many e-mails of different nature via my Proz profile. Some alleged translators (I´m not sure they really were) wanted to establish a partnership with me (???) for no apparent reason. Others wanted to offer me a huge project without specifying who they were, what the project was or why they thought I was the best solution.
But the most peculiar one has to be a translator in a very remote country who just wanted us to be friends.
He tried to
... See more
Hi Angioletta,

I have received many e-mails of different nature via my Proz profile. Some alleged translators (I´m not sure they really were) wanted to establish a partnership with me (???) for no apparent reason. Others wanted to offer me a huge project without specifying who they were, what the project was or why they thought I was the best solution.
But the most peculiar one has to be a translator in a very remote country who just wanted us to be friends.
He tried to reach me via e-mail, Skype, MSN, you name it...
This is a means of communication like any other, but our photos and the information about us makes it more human, so it´s bound to happen.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It's not happened to me... Oct 24, 2007

... should I be jealous?

cisternas
cisternas  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too... Oct 24, 2007

I couldn't say I have received many e-mails, but some.

Now, after your post I think is a "bit" wired.

Cristina

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just a few Oct 24, 2007

.... apart from translation companies contacting me - respectable ones as well as "companies" that shy away once I state my rates.

Only once or twice a year I receive e-mails like the ones you mention.

Anjo

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Generally lazy Oct 24, 2007

Ciao Angioletta,
Some days ago when I got my famous 15 minutes of fame
as a featured translator.
Someone sent me a mail:
"I see you are a senior translator from ProZ.com. I am a new
member.
I would to ask you; is this payment membership enough to
get more for translation jobs?
What are you thinking about this theme?
Thank you in advance
Regards from XX"
This is too general for me. If he had mentioned something about my specializa
... See more
Ciao Angioletta,
Some days ago when I got my famous 15 minutes of fame
as a featured translator.
Someone sent me a mail:
"I see you are a senior translator from ProZ.com. I am a new
member.
I would to ask you; is this payment membership enough to
get more for translation jobs?
What are you thinking about this theme?
Thank you in advance
Regards from XX"
This is too general for me. If he had mentioned something about my specialization, about my language pair or so I would have answered him, but now I think that he is just a lazy guy. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and he tried to flirt a bit.
Stai attenta, Angiolina, eh?
Saluti
Stefania
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:15
Japanese to English
@Tuliparola - I got the exact same message! Oct 24, 2007

Hi Angioletta and others,

I also receive these emails through my profile, although they're usually from someone who works in my language pair. But around a week ago, I got the exact same letter as Tuliparola - which was extremely puzzling because the guy works in completely different language pairs (although he seemed to have a valid enough profile).
At the time I also thought it was really weird, and suspected that he was mass-contacting other translators throughout Proz. Now
... See more
Hi Angioletta and others,

I also receive these emails through my profile, although they're usually from someone who works in my language pair. But around a week ago, I got the exact same letter as Tuliparola - which was extremely puzzling because the guy works in completely different language pairs (although he seemed to have a valid enough profile).
At the time I also thought it was really weird, and suspected that he was mass-contacting other translators throughout Proz. Now, I see my suspicions may have proved true
Oh well, he sure must have a lot of time on his hands...
Back to work now!
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
AC/DC? Oct 24, 2007

Tuliparola wrote:

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and he tried to flirt a bit.

I received a very similar sounding email. If he just wanted to flirt I think he works both sides of the street.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I missed this email Oct 24, 2007

Thank you very much for your feedback, it seems I got many emails but missed the one received by many of you

islander1974
islander1974
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Through BB and forums Oct 25, 2007

I have only received e-mails through the forums (fora) on specific topics or through a bad BB comment I made when a Spanish outsourcer didn't pay me. That last time, I got a mail from a panicked translator who was owed almost 1,000 euros from that same outsourcer - I felt lucky to have only been "had" for 86 euros!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving via profile many emails from new users requesting information/advice; you too?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »