Off topic: The kissing hand
Thread poster: texjax DDS PhD

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:22
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 27, 2007

The kissing hand is a great children storybook about a little raccoon and his fears on his first day of school. His mother, to reassure him, came up with a solution to make him feel better: the kissing hand.

The same initiative has been adopted by the daycare attended by my son and it really works in those moments when he misses his mommy.

On a sheet of paper trace the contour of your hand and then, inside the drawing, put a kiss with your lipstick (not suggested for our male colleagues) or simply write kiss or I love you, or any other loving word that will make your little children smile and remember that they are always loved, even when you are far away.
Then tell them to place their hand over your traced one the next time they'll miss you, and they will feel your kiss and your love just as if you where there.

I find this a wonderful idea and I thought it was nice to share it, especially with those of you who often travel for work or might be far from their little ones for any other reason.

It’s a very sweet and effective way to remember them how much loved they are.

Direct link Reply with quote

abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 07:22
English to Urdu
+ ...
Worth trying Oct 27, 2007

Well, a nice fantasy worth trying !!

Regards,

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:22
English to Turkish
Very cute Oct 27, 2007

Reminded me the book of Japanese tales I used to read as a little child, one story in it in particular: mother and daughter look alike like two twins. Mother is dying, and gives the daughter a small box while saying goodbye: "whenever you feel sad, lonely, or scared, just open this and you'll find me inside..." There is a mirror in the box, of course. I would read this story again and again with tears, then would run to the mirror, and get all the more sad, because my face didn't look the least like my mother's But I'm a lucky daughter, as she is still alive!

Nice one, and it sure would work, on the same principle as the "royal touch" - but then, it used to work on adults, too, we're told

Umberto Cassano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Nice fantasy indeed 1 Oct 27, 2007

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

On a sheet of paper trace the contour of your hand and then, inside the drawing, put a kiss with your lipstick (not suggested for our male colleagues) or simply write kiss or I love you,

Nice fantasy indeed !! The trouble is that "I love you" won't work for my 4yrs old son who's very proficient in Korean - her mother's first language - as well as in Italian. He seems to creatively misunderstand every single english word he hears and unconsciously makes funny puns eventually. "I love you" has been recently turned into "Ai ravioli"... !!!!! LOL !

Daniela Di Falco
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
Thinking of you... Oct 27, 2007

Hi! Very nice indeed! I didn't know the story of the little raccoon...
It made me think how a small but warm message or something similar can be heart-warming not only for our little children but for any other person we love as well.
Thank you!
Daniela

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
here's the solution for Umberto Oct 27, 2007

Umberto Cassano wrote:

"I love you" has been recently turned into "Ai ravioli"... !!!!! LOL !

That's so cute!

Well, I have the perfect solution for you, Umberto!

You can put this picture on your kissind/eating hand

or...a picture of daddy making ravioli...

but, please, not this one!

@ Özden: the Japanese story is so beautiful! Thanks! have a great day!

[Edited at 2007-10-27 16:48]

Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
French to Italian
+ ...
so cute! Oct 28, 2007

I regret my 2 sons are grown up now, I would certainly have tried the kissing hand otherwise!
Giulia

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Excellent idea Oct 28, 2007

I've never thought of it before, but I'll definitely use this trick when I have to leave town again, as I did a couple of weeks ago - it's hard to be away from the little ones for 4 whole sleeps!

Thanks, great stories!

Nancy

Ingrid Lovric
English to Croatian
+ ...
Thank you! Oct 29, 2007

My son has a big problem parting from me when I take him to daycare (although he enjoys it very much and talks about his little friends the whole weekend long).

I'll definitely try it and let you know how it worked!

Thanks from a mom that feels guilty from Monday to Friday!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The kissing hand

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs