Thread poster: Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 24, 2003

JUST HAVE A LOOK AT WHAT YOU CAN FIND IN ARGENTNA.

BY THE WAY, DORADOS BELONG TO THE SALMON FAMILY.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/worldwide/samerica/dorado.html

ENJOY IT.

Robert Ingledew

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Río Grande is expensive, Bariloche is beautiful, but the really big fish are in the Paraná River Feb 24, 2003

True, Río Grande boasts having the largest number of world records for brown trout, and every year someone fishes a 20 pounder.

But most private properties or ranches are charging very high fees to foreign fishermen. Most of the fishing is done in one river, the Río Grande, sometimes you have to travel 50 miles to reach a good spot, and fishing guides are expensive.

On the other hand, although the record in the Bariloche area is a 40 pound rainbow tr
... See more
True, Río Grande boasts having the largest number of world records for brown trout, and every year someone fishes a 20 pounder.

But most private properties or ranches are charging very high fees to foreign fishermen. Most of the fishing is done in one river, the Río Grande, sometimes you have to travel 50 miles to reach a good spot, and fishing guides are expensive.

On the other hand, although the record in the Bariloche area is a 40 pound rainbow trout, normally you will catch specimens ranging from 3 to 6 pounds. But the scenery is beautiful (Puerto Blest is breathtaking), hotels are not expensive (the Puerto Blest hotel costs 20 Dollars per night including dinner and breakfast), and it is an ideal spot for taking photos or filming.

But if you want the real big fish (dorados), go to the Paraná river. Paso de la Patria is a worldwide famous place for dorado fishing, hotel rates are normal, but fishing guides tend to be expensive. If you want to avoid this cost, cross the river on a regular motorboat service to Isla del Cerrito, where you can catch 20 pounders from the shore where the Paraguay river runs into the Paraná. Hotels here are not expensive.

The trout fishing season ends in April, and the dorado season starts about that date and ends in July.

Whichever option you choose, I am sure you will really enjoy it.

Have a nice time in Argentina!

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An interesting alternative for dorado fishing, in contact with nature Feb 24, 2003

I have not visited this place myself, nor am I familiar with the agency, but I am familiar with fishing in the Province of Corrientes, which is in Argentina. Fresh water dorado fishing is an unforgetable experience.

Just have a look at this page:

http://www.guarapo.com.ar/html/quees_i.html

Regards from Argentina

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:27
English to Turkish
+ ...
Ahoy! Feb 25, 2003

The best way for me to relax after cruel translation work is fishing, especially night fishing. Here in Turkey I find opportunity to fish almost anything from horse mackerels, turbot, bluefish to sharks, Bluefin Tuna, mahi mahi and swordfish. Yet there\'s one species which hasn\'t visited my tackle yet, Baracuda. I hope to catch one this summer in the Mediterrannean.

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I started fishing when I was 11 years old Feb 25, 2003

A friend of the family gave me some fishing spoons for my Birthday and next Summer I went on vacation to the lake district in Argentina. I was staying in Trevelin, a small Welsh colony that had 3000 inhabitants at that time. A small channel that fed the mill went through the town, and with 10 feet of string and my fishing spoon I caught my first salmon trout. Imagine my excitement. I caught another one the next day. Then I had to wait two weeks before the next one came on my line, but as ... See more
A friend of the family gave me some fishing spoons for my Birthday and next Summer I went on vacation to the lake district in Argentina. I was staying in Trevelin, a small Welsh colony that had 3000 inhabitants at that time. A small channel that fed the mill went through the town, and with 10 feet of string and my fishing spoon I caught my first salmon trout. Imagine my excitement. I caught another one the next day. Then I had to wait two weeks before the next one came on my line, but as we say in Spanish: \"quien me quita lo bailado\"...

My experience with the Paraná river was also very good. The first time I went to Empedrado, south of the city of Corrientes, I caught 3 large dogfish and my 30 pound nylon was cut six times in one hour and a half. The next time I caught a 20 pound dorado, and had another violent run of an obviously larger fish that cut the nylon again. At the Isla del Cerrito I caught 20 pound dorados a few times and saw some weighting nearly 40 pounds caught by others, all at the \"Punta Norte\" (North end) where the Paraguay river runs into the Paraná in a 90 degree angle forming an incredibly large whirlpool, where the dorados are waiting for the smaller fish.

Bait is expensive here, so I suggest taking two fishing rods, one for small fish, which you can use then as live bait, if you do not take flies or spoons. Do not use lead, since there are many roots in the bottom and you will lose hundreds of yards of nylon and many hooks. You can use salami as bait for the smaller fish.

There is nothing comparable in my fishing experience to hooking a dorado. It may take 10 to 30 minutes of fight before you can land it. Or even more, depending on the nylon you use.

Enjoy your trip to Argentina.

Roberto
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I HAVE JUST CHECKED GUARAPO´S RATES FOR DORADO FISHING Feb 25, 2003

Presently they are charging 300 pesos (slightly less than 100 US Dollars) per day, basis 2 persons (this price is per person, and includes pick-up at the Goya airport or bus station, navigating to their fishing ground, sleeping in their tents, including all meals, navigating back and from there to the airport or bus station.) It also includes the motorboat required for fishing, all the gasoline and the bait. If you are going to do trolling, they also provide the fishing gear, not so in the cas... See more
Presently they are charging 300 pesos (slightly less than 100 US Dollars) per day, basis 2 persons (this price is per person, and includes pick-up at the Goya airport or bus station, navigating to their fishing ground, sleeping in their tents, including all meals, navigating back and from there to the airport or bus station.) It also includes the motorboat required for fishing, all the gasoline and the bait. If you are going to do trolling, they also provide the fishing gear, not so in the case of fly fishing. They recommend a minimum stay of two days.

In my opinion their rate is neither expensive nor cheap, but seems a good deal for foreign tourists. In Bariloche you would spend 300 pesos for 4 hours of trolling, without any meal, and without any housing. Of course, rates in the Bariloche area are lower at Lago Puelo.

I will soon be giving you information on trout fishing in Southern Argentina.

Regards from Argentina.

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TROUT FISHING IN TIERRA DEL FUEGO (ARGENTINA) Mar 9, 2003

Last night I met an inhabitant of Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, at the hotel where I live in Mar del Plata, and he clarified some issues regarding fishing in Río Grande.

In the first place, he told me that this season has been excellent, with large brown trout, being quite frequent the capture of brown trout between 15 and 20 pounds.

I told him what I had heard regarding prohibitive costs charged to tourists that fish in the ranches, and he clarified somet
... See more
Last night I met an inhabitant of Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, at the hotel where I live in Mar del Plata, and he clarified some issues regarding fishing in Río Grande.

In the first place, he told me that this season has been excellent, with large brown trout, being quite frequent the capture of brown trout between 15 and 20 pounds.

I told him what I had heard regarding prohibitive costs charged to tourists that fish in the ranches, and he clarified something important: the 80 pesos (27 Dollars) per day that they charge to tourists for fishing in the María Behety ranch includes a complete tour of the ranch, the shearing shed and its facilities, a meal at the site and transportation to the fishing sites. If this is so, it seems more reasonable.

He also told me that there are vast sectors of the Río Grande where no private permit is required, but only the normal fishing license. He gave me good references about the Ewan river and the Chowin river, both located between Río Grande and Ushuaia.

The following link has interesting information on Río Grade, but I am leading you to their home page, because it has information on all the Patagonia, both in Argentina, and in Chile.

http://www.patagonias.net/Main.htm

Enjoy it.

Robert Ingledew

Collapse

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:27
English to Turkish
+ ...
monofil - nylon - braid Mar 10, 2003

Dear Robert

I strongly suggest that you use braid instead of nylon. It\'s much tougher, has no stretch at all which makes bite detection easier, comes in a much thinner diameter than nylon and is abbrasion resistant. The best and the most expensive is Berkley WhiplashPro, a 0.10 mm diameter braid with a breaking strain of 14 kg! Apart from that use flurocarbon shockleaders, the best of these materials come under the brand of seaguar. Flurocarbon has almost the same light characteristic
... See more
Dear Robert

I strongly suggest that you use braid instead of nylon. It\'s much tougher, has no stretch at all which makes bite detection easier, comes in a much thinner diameter than nylon and is abbrasion resistant. The best and the most expensive is Berkley WhiplashPro, a 0.10 mm diameter braid with a breaking strain of 14 kg! Apart from that use flurocarbon shockleaders, the best of these materials come under the brand of seaguar. Flurocarbon has almost the same light characteristics as water and is nearly invisible to fish underwater. Berkley\'s No-Vis and Stren\'s Fluorocarbon are also quality materials. If there are so many big fish you could also use Fireline and Spiderwire made of spectra fibres.

Murat
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Comments of a foreign tourist who visited Argentina recently Mar 14, 2003

A USA citizen who stayed two months in Argentina and is leaving for Bolivia, posted the following note in www.about.com:

Again, thanks for your help and just a quick note to say what a great time we have had for the last 2 months in your country (Argentina). No hassles, no problems, great transport, friendly people and lots for visitors to see - I think we only scrapped the surface. You may find it funny, but
... See more
A USA citizen who stayed two months in Argentina and is leaving for Bolivia, posted the following note in www.about.com:

Again, thanks for your help and just a quick note to say what a great time we have had for the last 2 months in your country (Argentina). No hassles, no problems, great transport, friendly people and lots for visitors to see - I think we only scrapped the surface. You may find it funny, but a lot of people back home say that Argentina is very dangerous and not good for tourists right now. How wrong they were!!!

Robert Shaw

Keep this in mind.

Regards from Argentina

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Murat Mar 14, 2003

Here I get few chances of fishing. Although I am 4 blocks away from the seaside, this Summer we had 2,600,000 million tourists on the beaches, and that does not help if you want to fish. The port waters are contaminated inside the basins, fortunately not so outside.

There is a rainbow trout fishing pond 30 miles away from Mar del Plata which used to be very good. However, floods during the last two years took most of the trout away, and the lagoons have too many weeds fo
... See more
Here I get few chances of fishing. Although I am 4 blocks away from the seaside, this Summer we had 2,600,000 million tourists on the beaches, and that does not help if you want to fish. The port waters are contaminated inside the basins, fortunately not so outside.

There is a rainbow trout fishing pond 30 miles away from Mar del Plata which used to be very good. However, floods during the last two years took most of the trout away, and the lagoons have too many weeds for my taste, so I have not gone fishing there for months. My clear options are the Parana river (I hope to go some time this year for dorado fishing) and Puerto Blest in Bariloche, which is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and where I can catch trout weighing 8 pounds, although there are larger ones around, but they never landed on my line.

Thank you for your advice. I will keep it in mind.

Robert
Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
Russian to English
+ ...
The Grand Union Canal Mar 22, 2003

...in North London is good for Dace and Perch at this time of year. But it\'s also a favoured spot for cottagers, so mind your back.

[ This Message was edited by: The Tautologist on 2003-03-22 10:18]

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MAP OF THE FISHING AREAS IN TIERRA DEL FUEGO, ARGENTINA Mar 27, 2003

Thank you for the information you gave on fishing in London. I should have known that earlier. I was in Brentwood some years ago for a couple of weeks and would have enjoyed having that information then.

Enclosed is a site with a map of the fishing areas around Río Grande and some photos of happy fishermen with some trout.
... See more
Thank you for the information you gave on fishing in London. I should have known that earlier. I was in Brentwood some years ago for a couple of weeks and would have enjoyed having that information then.

Enclosed is a site with a map of the fishing areas around Río Grande and some photos of happy fishermen with some trout. Here it is:

http://www.misionrg.com.ar/pesca.htm

Enjoy it.

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Guillermina Canale
Guillermina Canale  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
From another flyfishing fan! Apr 2, 2003

As I was browsing ProZ, Ifound this forum and I couldn\'t believe what was reading.

I spent 12 days in January in Tierra del Fuego, I was invited by some friends who own a ranch there and had the opportunity to fish the Rio Grande. Unfortunately, it was a terrible year for fishing. It rained too much and the river was too high and dark (chocolate coloured) but it was my first time at the Rio Grande and it was great.

I really want to go fishing for dorado
... See more
As I was browsing ProZ, Ifound this forum and I couldn\'t believe what was reading.

I spent 12 days in January in Tierra del Fuego, I was invited by some friends who own a ranch there and had the opportunity to fish the Rio Grande. Unfortunately, it was a terrible year for fishing. It rained too much and the river was too high and dark (chocolate coloured) but it was my first time at the Rio Grande and it was great.

I really want to go fishing for dorados in a couple of months so your advice comes at the perfect moment

...I\'d rather be fishing..........
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Guillermina. I am sure you will like this information Apr 25, 2003

YOU DON´T NEED TO GO VERY FAR TO CATCH A GOOD FISH

Some 350 miles North of Buenos Aires you will find the first worthwhile fishing resort on the Paraná river: La Paz (Entre Ríos), Argentina. Although you can also catch dorados there, the surubi fishing is one of the main attractions in this area. The surubi belongs to the catfish family, and large specimens can be caught, we you will see in the photo:

http://www.lapazdigital.8m.net/cgi-bin/i/image
... See more
YOU DON´T NEED TO GO VERY FAR TO CATCH A GOOD FISH

Some 350 miles North of Buenos Aires you will find the first worthwhile fishing resort on the Paraná river: La Paz (Entre Ríos), Argentina. Although you can also catch dorados there, the surubi fishing is one of the main attractions in this area. The surubi belongs to the catfish family, and large specimens can be caught, we you will see in the photo:

http://www.lapazdigital.8m.net/cgi-bin/i/images2/podio_ganador_con_nobres.jpg

To the north of La Paz, you have the fishing centers of Esquina, Goya (you read the note on Guarapo), Empedrado, Paso de la Patria and Ita Ibaté. Here are some more photos:

Esquina (Corrientes): http://www.geocities.com/bordapescaus/inicioing.html

Empedrado (Corrientes): (sorry the text is in Spanish, but you will enjoy the photos)

http://www.pescanet.com/grupo_pescanet/1999/16-10-99/info_16-10-99.htm

Ita Ibaté (both dorados and surubíes), sorry the text is in Spanish, but you can enjoy the photos. http://www.pescanet.com/informacion_de_pesca/salidas/2002/10-10-2002_ita_ibate.htm

I have been told that just now there is very good fishing at Esquina.

Have a nice day.

Robert Ingledew

[Edited at 2005-01-31 10:52]
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
When comparing trolling prices, keep this in mind Apr 30, 2003

I prefer all inclusive prices (hotel, meals, boat, gasoline, etc.), because otherwise there can be surprises.

The cost of gasoline is still expensive in Argentina, and motor boats use a mixture of gasoline and oil that costs about 3.20 Dollars the gallon. If the price does not include gasoline, and the dorados are biting far away, you may require up to 12 gallons of fuel, or about 40 US Dollars only for that.

The cost of a motorboat for 3 persons is cos
... See more
I prefer all inclusive prices (hotel, meals, boat, gasoline, etc.), because otherwise there can be surprises.

The cost of gasoline is still expensive in Argentina, and motor boats use a mixture of gasoline and oil that costs about 3.20 Dollars the gallon. If the price does not include gasoline, and the dorados are biting far away, you may require up to 12 gallons of fuel, or about 40 US Dollars only for that.

The cost of a motorboat for 3 persons is costing some 120 US Dollars per day, including all the above items. But some dishonest fishing guides are charging as much as 380 US Dollars. Compare prices before deciding. At the Río Hondo reservoir in Santiago del Estero, Argentina, you can also do trolling for fishing dorados at a fraction of that cost. Keep it in mind.

Regards from Mar del Plata

Roberto
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fond of fishing? Try Argentina

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »