Off topic: Pass-time for linguists
Thread poster: Dinny

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:56
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2007

When you have a moment you might want to spend it doing some good while passing time improving your language skills?

United Nations offer this opportunity to donate free rice to hungry people: http://www.freerice.com

While having my coffee this morning I just made sure that somebody else had his/her breakfast somewhere in the world.

Dinny

P.S.: The first day (Oct 7) 870 grains of rice were donated - yesterday 136,236,930 grains of rice were donated. Could ProZ.com increase this number significantly?

[Edited at 2007-11-12 12:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 06:56
English to Urdu
+ ...
Unique Idea Nov 12, 2007

Yes, I have read it before on BBC. What a unique idea for convincing people to donate for less fortunate inhabitants of the planet !!

Thanks for sharing, Dinny.

Regards,

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:56
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you! Nov 12, 2007

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:56
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Looks familiar... Nov 12, 2007

I thought someone else had posted about this initiative here on ProZ.com, because I played this game last week, but perhaps the link was forwarded to me by a friend... My aging brain does not recall.

However, it's an addictive game that helps fight hunger.

CTV, Canada's major TV network, mentions that

On its inaugural day, the online game totalled 830 grains of donated rice. The Internet community quickly caught on and donated more than 77 million grains of rice on Nov. 8 alone -- equivalent to more than seven million online clicks.

Perhaps we ProZians can take a little credit for that?

See the full story here: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071109/free_rice_071109/20071111/

Nancy

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fantastic! Nov 12, 2007

A good way to warm up the mind in the morning...and now my kids have to earn 100 grains before they can play on the web.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:56
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Better than fantastic! Nov 12, 2007

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales wrote:

A good way to warm up the mind in the morning...and now my kids have to earn 100 grains before they can play on the web.

Mine are too young to adequately play this game, particularly in English... but I think your idea is fan-ta-bu-lous!!! Talk about a win-win situation...

Nancy

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Nov 12, 2007

This is great! And addictive....

Thanks for sharing.

Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ  Identity Verified
Belgium
Bosnian to French
+ ...
Hello Nov 22, 2007

This subject has been already discussed here:

http://www.proz.com/topic/87172

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:56
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't appear when searching the forum Nov 22, 2007

Normally, I do a search before posting a topic - but the search function cannot handle two combined words, I think. I got an endless list of topic in which the word "free" appeared... maybe I didn't have the patience to read through all the list. I thought that a "hit" would come up as first option.

OK, I consider myself slapped

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
That makes the two of us Nov 22, 2007

Dinny wrote:

OK, I consider myself slapped

Still funnier, now I realize the thread Said points to was originally posted here in the Off Topic forum, and I moved it to Learning/Teaching Languages

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pass-time for linguists

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs