Mobile menu

Off topic: Pop in Translation
Thread poster: Isabel Booth

Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:50
Italian to English
Dec 18, 2007

An interesting half hour of listening courtesy of BBC radio via the internet:

You can listen to the programme after it has been broadcast with their "listen again" feature

Pop in Translation
Saturday 15 December 2007 10:30-11:00 (Radio 4 FM)

During the 1960s many pop artists, from the Beatles to David Bowie, attempted to boost their success with foreign-language versions of their hits. Mark Radcliffe looks at one of pop music's quirkier episodes.

Direct link Reply with quote
Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
Great! Dec 18, 2007

I think the translation of pop songs even went on for a while, well into the 70's.

I'm certainly going to listen to this, thanks!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
continues all the time Dec 19, 2007

I can only speak for Finnish, but I would guess pop-songs are being translated all the time. Italian songs are sung everywhere in translations/new wordings.
On the other hand there are so many smashing songs in the world which are unknown to the English speaking world. The same is true for movies, only a small fraction is ever seen on screens in the English speeaking countries.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pop in Translation

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs