Mobile menu

Off topic: French Francs - still a valid currency?
Thread poster: Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:41
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 7, 2003

Hi colleagues:

Pardon me if this is a stupid question. But what I would like to know is are French Francs still used in France?

Thanks in advance.

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxKen52
Spanish to English
+ ...
They aren't Mar 7, 2003

They can still be exchanged at the Bank of France, though.

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
No... Mar 7, 2003

Euro..

Guereau
France
English to French
+ ...
Not valid, but exchangeable Mar 7, 2003

The French Franc will remaine exchangeable at the Banque de France for several years.

But only there. Don\'t get paid in FF!

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:41
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
But... Mar 7, 2003

Whenever you\'re asking because you\'ve got some bank notes, you could ask in an office of the Banque Centrale if they could change them.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-07 20:06]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes and no Mar 7, 2003

In essence, all currencies participating in EMU (European Monetary Union) ceased to exist with Stage Three of EMU that came into force on 1 January 1999 - as from this date, the \"legacy\" currencies (including the French franc, of course) already represented the euro (and were henceforth converted at irrevocably fixed conversion rates), although euro notes and coins didn\'t come into circulation until 1 January 2002.

Legacy currencies were phased out during the first quarter of 2002. In France, the franc ceased to be officially accepted as legal tender on 16 February 2002, although the changeover happened much earlier - in mid-January 2002, around 80% of cash transactions were conducted using euros.

French franc notes and coins will be exchanged, free of charge, by the French Central Bank (Banque de France) and certain other official bodies for a period of three years, counting from 17 Feb 2002. For notes only, this period will be ten years. (Note that commercial banks in other countries may charge a fee - contact your central bank.)

More info on EMU is available on the ECB website http:/www.ecb.int; the Banque de France has set up an EMU Update section on its website www.banque-france.fr/gb/euro/main.htm (most infos in English, FAQ list in French).

HTH - contact me directly if you need more info.

Best regards, Ralf

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-07 21:11]

Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
No - but you can recover your "old" francs Mar 8, 2003

I did quite often to France - after the Euro, Francs were of course \"passé\".

A few weeks ago, I found a 100-franc banknote tucked away somewhere - on my last trip to Toulose I went to the local delegation of the Bank of France & they exchanged it at no cost. (EXcept for the fact that I had to go in office hours, it was really no pain...)

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:41
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a whole lot!! Mar 8, 2003

Now I know for certain that my Francs are not just pieces of colored paper.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French Francs - still a valid currency?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs