Off topic: Looking for accomodation in London at the beginning of April 2008
Thread poster: Andrzej Lejman

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:21
German to Polish
+ ...
Dec 30, 2007

Dear all,

I'm visiting London at the beginning of April 2008. This isn’t business, but pleasure, so I need to keep a firm eye on the costs.
Considering this, what I'm looking for is a double room for 6 nights in a reasonably-priced hotel in London, near the city centre if possible and/or with decent connections by tube. By reasonably priced, I mean that I have a budget of around 500 pounds for the 6 nights.
I’ve spent a lot of time looking for such accommodation. However, although most hotels give superb descriptions of themselves, when you check the guests' opinions, it’s nearly all minor ratings …
Wireless Internet access would be an advantage. This seems not to be a standard yet...
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Best regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's hardly luxurious, but... Dec 30, 2007

The Royal National, in Bloomsbury, is clean and affordable. Given its enormous size, its layout, and the decor, it looks a bit like a college dormitory, but I like it. That's where I stayed on my last trip to London, and I'll probably stay there on the next trip.

I've also stayed at several of the small hotels along Cartwright Gardens, also in Bloomsbury, and they were reasonably affordable as well. Again, don't expect luxury for the price, but they're clean.

All the options I've mentioned are within walking distance of the British Museum, and are close to several Tube stations. Let me qualify this saying my information was correct as of three years ago.

[Edited at 2007-12-30 18:17]

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:21
Flemish to English
+ ...
Couchsurf/Hospitality club. Dec 30, 2007

Try the people of the Hospitality club or couchsurfing. It is free although a small gift would be appreciated.

[Edited at 2007-12-30 19:39]

Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
interested in B&B? Dec 30, 2007

100m2 from King Cross Station, clean rooms, good breakfast, gentle staff and affordable prices.
contact me if you need details

[Modificato alle 2007-12-30 19:07]

Local time: 09:21
English to Spanish
Piccadilly Hotel Dec 31, 2007

"This is London's most central budget hotel, located in the city's most vibrant area."

Prices from £14...

There is also the Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel.

Emma Grubb  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Try Travelodge Dec 31, 2007

They have several hotels in London and can usually be obtained at a good price if booked in advance.

Sybille  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Happy-homes is an option, too Jan 1, 2008

Look here:

You will live with a family, it is good and not expensive. I tried it out with my husband in 2005.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Travelodge or Ibis Jan 6, 2008

For budget accommodation, I'd second the recommendation for Travelodge and would also mention Ibis hotels:

Both of these are hotel chains. If you're looking for a place with individual charm, they're probably not what you're after. But they are relatively cheap and convenient for public transport.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for accomodation in London at the beginning of April 2008

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs