Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Any countries with no firework on New Year's Eve?
Thread poster: Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:29
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Jan 1, 2008

Hi everybody,

First of all, Happy New Year!

Which brings me to my question: Yesterday I realized again (as I do every New Year's Eve/New Year ever since I can remember) that I really abhor firecrackers. I may be oversensitive, but they really bother me. Now I've started wondering if I should spend next year's holidays in some country where there are no fireworks, or only very limited ones.

As this is such a wonderfully international place, I'm sure some of
... See more
Hi everybody,

First of all, Happy New Year!

Which brings me to my question: Yesterday I realized again (as I do every New Year's Eve/New Year ever since I can remember) that I really abhor firecrackers. I may be oversensitive, but they really bother me. Now I've started wondering if I should spend next year's holidays in some country where there are no fireworks, or only very limited ones.

As this is such a wonderfully international place, I'm sure some of you can tell me if such a place exists.
(BTW, I've heard that this year, Paris had a ban on fireworks - was that observed at all?)

And, yes of course I know that there are no fireworks in Japan for New Year, having lived there for some years. But I don't want to spend my holidays there.

Thanks!
Nadja

[Edited at 2008-01-01 09:38]
Collapse

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Any non-Christian country Jan 1, 2008

I would say you're good in any country where christianity is minimal or absent. My father lives in Israel - they don't care at all about New Year's Eve. I was with my dad once at NYE, and saw just very sparse fireworks, from relatively recent immigrants who hadn't adapted yet.
New Year's Eve in Israel is somewhere late in September...

uffe
uffe
English to Swedish
+ ...
Fireworks Jan 1, 2008

Hi Nadja

I belive in the state of Minnesota is a place to celebrate new years eve if you dislike fireworks.

Good luck and a happy new year

Ulf Thomassen

Ute Bartsch
Ute Bartsch
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Happy new year! Jan 1, 2008

I recommend Byron Bay, Australia, where I spent last year's New Year's Eve. They had some kind of parade through the city in the evening, everybody was on the street celebrating, they had live music in several places - and NO fireworks at all. It was wonderful. I don't know about other cities in Australia, though - of course there is the popular firework at the Harbour Bridge in Sydney, but I think that it is not allowed for "normal" people to run around throwing "Böller" at each other ...
... See more
I recommend Byron Bay, Australia, where I spent last year's New Year's Eve. They had some kind of parade through the city in the evening, everybody was on the street celebrating, they had live music in several places - and NO fireworks at all. It was wonderful. I don't know about other cities in Australia, though - of course there is the popular firework at the Harbour Bridge in Sydney, but I think that it is not allowed for "normal" people to run around throwing "Böller" at each other ...
Yes, yesterday I wished I was there ...
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:29
Italian to English
UK Jan 1, 2008

Hi Nadja

Fireworks are not a New Year tradition in the UK, largely because we celebrate a rather parochial and long-forgotten event with them on 5 November.
Which is not to say there aren't any; I went to a dinner-dance at our local hotel last night and they did have a fireworks display. I believe there may be some at the big venues such as Trafalgar Square in London or Princes Street in Edinburgh but you would have to very unlucky if you couldn't easily find somewhere unaffe
... See more
Hi Nadja

Fireworks are not a New Year tradition in the UK, largely because we celebrate a rather parochial and long-forgotten event with them on 5 November.
Which is not to say there aren't any; I went to a dinner-dance at our local hotel last night and they did have a fireworks display. I believe there may be some at the big venues such as Trafalgar Square in London or Princes Street in Edinburgh but you would have to very unlucky if you couldn't easily find somewhere unaffected.
Happy New Year.

Russell
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Happy New Year! Jan 1, 2008

I don't like crackers either, a lot of people don't, just like birds, dogs and other animals.
Anyway, here in Friesland, The Netherlands, on 31 December they like to put carbid in a milk can and
... See more
I don't like crackers either, a lot of people don't, just like birds, dogs and other animals.
Anyway, here in Friesland, The Netherlands, on 31 December they like to put carbid in a milk can and have it exploded:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxh-AQDxeo

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=VPwx_jGaYUc
Collapse

Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Normandy Jan 1, 2008

Henk Peelen wrote:

Anyway, here in Friesland, The Netherlands, on 31 December they like to put carbid in a milk can and have it exploded.

This tradition is popular but almost always illegal and not without good reason: a boy (9) got seriously injured yesterday, because he got the lid of the milk can in his face.

Sometimes I go to St. Vaast-la Hougue in Normandy (France) after Christmas. No fireworks at all, but great oysters!

Happy New Year everyone!

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Certainly NOT Italy Jan 1, 2008

In the latest body count we have two people accidentally shot dead (yes, we have idiots that use to load a gun and shoot the clouds to celebrate) and several hundreds injuried by illegal fireworks or careless use of them. Not to mention kids that will lose an eye or a finger for picking up unexploded ones left in the streets in the next few days.

It should be declared illegal. Full stop.
Gianni

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 22:29
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Follow the blizzard! Jan 1, 2008

There were nice activities around town, but no fireworks in Ottawa: http://app01.ottawa.ca/ArtsCalendar/searchResult.jsf?lang=en&action=as&newReq=yes&keyword=New%20Year&x=43&y=18&what=0&where=0&venue=&startdate=31/12/2007&enddate=1/1/2008

Certainly there w
... See more
There were nice activities around town, but no fireworks in Ottawa: http://app01.ottawa.ca/ArtsCalendar/searchResult.jsf?lang=en&action=as&newReq=yes&keyword=New%20Year&x=43&y=18&what=0&where=0&venue=&startdate=31/12/2007&enddate=1/1/2008

Certainly there would be no fireworks today, as there is a white-out blizzard raging on, with the intent of dropping some 20 cm on us through the day. Travel is treacherous for us out in the country, and there is not a single car out there, not even on the TransCanada highway, but Ottawa will be lively today, if my memory serves me correctly, as will the ski hills north of the capital.

Nancy
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
NOT SE Arizona Jan 1, 2008

I was happily sound asleep, knowing that New Year 2008 would get here without any particular help from me (and that if I got up and tried to stop it, that would be futile, too).

Then, my neighbors EVERYWHERE started shooting off the darned rockets. It wouldn't have bothered me if we all didn't live sprinkled throughout the cow pastures, with bone-dry grass and shrub as far as the e
... See more
I was happily sound asleep, knowing that New Year 2008 would get here without any particular help from me (and that if I got up and tried to stop it, that would be futile, too).

Then, my neighbors EVERYWHERE started shooting off the darned rockets. It wouldn't have bothered me if we all didn't live sprinkled throughout the cow pastures, with bone-dry grass and shrub as far as the eye can see. This will give you an idea: http://patriciarosas.net/cow%20day.htm

But fortunately, no one set the neighborhood on fire, and now I plan on spending a quiet January 1 working while they all sleep it off. jejeje

HAPPY NEW YEAR PROZERS!
Collapse

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:29
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Visit Bangladesh Jan 1, 2008

Hi Nadja,

You may consider celebrating your next new year in Bangladesh where you will see no fireworks, but may find a lot other things to enjoy.

Bangladesh has a number of attractive tourist spots. My favorite one is Cox's Bazar, particularly St. Martins Island. I am sure you will enjoy the most beautiful and the longest sea beach of the world. You may check the following links to know more about Cox's Bazar and St. Ma
... See more
Hi Nadja,

You may consider celebrating your next new year in Bangladesh where you will see no fireworks, but may find a lot other things to enjoy.

Bangladesh has a number of attractive tourist spots. My favorite one is Cox's Bazar, particularly St. Martins Island. I am sure you will enjoy the most beautiful and the longest sea beach of the world. You may check the following links to know more about Cox's Bazar and St. Martins Island.

http://www.discoverybangladesh.com/meetbangladesh/coxbazar.html

http://travel.discoverybangladesh.com/travel-St.Martins-nijhum-island.html

Happy New Year to all!

Regards

Lubain
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Well, not here! Jan 1, 2008

Not in the Netherlands, I'm afraid. Sure, the fireworks themselves are quite spectacular and I enjoy watching at midnight!! What I don't like is kids and kidults lighting up their (not always legal) fireworks at all hours of the day, 3 weeks before the actual period of time during which they are allowed to light them up. My cat was about to get a nervous breakdown!!

And while most people are having innocent fun, every year you have idiots who think it's great fun to break windows an
... See more
Not in the Netherlands, I'm afraid. Sure, the fireworks themselves are quite spectacular and I enjoy watching at midnight!! What I don't like is kids and kidults lighting up their (not always legal) fireworks at all hours of the day, 3 weeks before the actual period of time during which they are allowed to light them up. My cat was about to get a nervous breakdown!!

And while most people are having innocent fun, every year you have idiots who think it's great fun to break windows and shelters at bus stops, shoot fireworks at houses and people, vandalise cars, light up fires in garbage containers (and vandalise the other containers), etc...

*sigh*

I've been up until way passed 3 am because we had the anti-riot police squad trying to control a bunch of these idiots, right around the corner from my house. The squad actually 'paraded' in my street at one point, quite impressive. Every year it's the same story in my area - a pretty quiet area 364 days per year - and I'm growing very tired of it. Sometimes I think I should move, but when I read the news the next morning, I see that it's pretty much the same story everywhere!

The combination of idiocy, alcohol and fireworks is definitely a deadly one!

Sorry for the rant, that's what I get for 3 hours of sleep and large translation assignment to finish!!
Collapse

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A lot of choices, great! Jan 1, 2008

Thanks everybody for your opinions. I see that I'm neither alone in my dislike of loud noises (I also DO enjoy the shiny lights) nor lacking in possibilities of escape. A very comforting thought!

eesegura
eesegura  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Colombia Jan 1, 2008

My husband tells me that fireworks are banned in Colombia, and for various reasons.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Liz

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Small towns in north west of Italy Jan 1, 2008

Hi Nadja,

I know it sounds very strange (almost unbelievable), but in the small towns in north west of Italy, no fireworks, no shots, nothing..

Happy 2008

Angio

[Edited at 2008-01-01 21:34]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any countries with no firework on New Year's Eve?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »