Silvia Ferrero  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 11, 2003

I have found the following advert on a translator\'s website:

Type: Project manager, English => Spanish

Title: English to Spanish to English.

Description: If you enjoy translating and meeting new people?

If you want to use your language skills?

If you want to work for yourself?

If you want a full time or part time income?

Then we want to hear from you:

Our company trades in over 50 countries and has multi-million currency turnover. Full training available. We are particularly interested in Spanish ex-pats or English speaking Spanish citizens. Serious enquiries only please.

Call UK 01442 241540 or abroad 00441442 241540 or visit:

Posted by

Name Mike Grant

Company Not a company

Location HP3 8YJ Hemel Hempstead

United Kingdom

Web site

I sounded good and, since I am a Spanish translator, I contacted them. They sent me a CD-ROM with information about the company and they told me they woul ring me in a couple of days. Well, when I watched the CD-ROM, it turned out that it was from a company called Herbal Life, and it was full of people telling you how wonderful it is to work from home and how much money you could make working for them, but nothing about translation. At the end of the CD, they give you three options, in all of them you have to give some money to the company (either for training sessions or to but their products).

The manager rang me some days later to see if I wanted to work for them. I told him that I was only looking for translation work and asked if the company offered that. He told me that they did not offer translation at all, to which I answered that I might have misunderstood the advert (though if you read it I think it is very clear!).

So that was it. He was very interested in me passing the CD to other people, but obviously I have not done it. I only hope that if any of you sees this advert, you won\'t waste your time as I did.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
They need a translator even if they do not realize it themselves. Mar 11, 2003

Did you look at the Spanish version of their site? For \"View this site in English\", it has \"Opinión el sitio en inglés\".

Probably those whose Spanish is better than mine could find other errors.

Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Herbalife and scientology Mar 11, 2003

If this is the same company as Herbalife I know they are linked to Scientology groups. Much info on this is in German, but if you type Herbalife + scientology into your search engine you will come up with many hits, info and warnings.

Even if they are not the same group I have come across other similar \"get rich quick\" schemes, but this is really cheeky to use the pretext of wanting translation.

Silvia Ferrero  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
They are everywhere! Mar 11, 2003

Actually, I have found a website posted by somebody who carried out an investigation about the appearance of many \"illegal\" signs in Sacramento like \"work from home\", \"Have a Computer?\", and \"Lose 30lbs in 30 days!\". They all belong to the same company, which is actually called Herbalife. They sell dietary products and also promise incredible loss of weight in a record time.

Apparently they are everywhere, so as Jack says, they would probably need translators, by the look of some of their websites.

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 06:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, they are everywhere Mar 11, 2003

And the worse thing is that they place ads in the newspaper requiring trained people in all kind of fields, and when you call to make an appointment they just give you an address where the meeting is going to be held and refuse to give you more information. Since the economy in most countries is at it lowest, and Panama is not the exception, hundreds of people go to this meetings, and of course when they find out what is it, most turn around and leave but others are so desesperate that they stay. An the worse thing is that the ad announces that you will be earning between US$ 2,000 to 3,000 a month. Therefore, people go to this meeting thinking the best, and then they\'re dissapointed and feel betrayed.

I wish that something could be done about this herballife company, but apparently so far nothing could be done and they still are advertising their job offers as if nothing has happened.

I have no idea if this is happening in other countries, but I know that here in Panama is happening and it is frustrating to see how they mislead the public.

Marla Sanchez  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Italian to English
+ ...
Interpreting at an Herbalife Conference Mar 11, 2003

Several years ago I interpreted at a convention for Herbalife with thousands of people in attendance from all parts of the globe.

Guess how many interpreters we were?

72! Two busloads of interpreters were transported each day from our hotel to the convention center. I don\'t recall how many languages were being interpreted, but there was a booth for every Asian, European, and some Middle Eastern and Indian languages.

It was an interesting and bizarre experience.

So at least 72 of your colleagues did actually make money providing language services for this company.

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:48
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Herbalife in Spain Mar 12, 2003

Also known as Interamerican. They told me they had a job for me as an English teacher. I showed up in a suit and tie ready for a professional interview and ended up listening to a sales spiel about how to get rich selling their weight loss product. I was annoyed that they wasted my time and told them so, which was replied to with a mocking smile.

Marla, you wouldn\'t happen to work for Herbalife in any other capacity, would you? Just asking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Herbal Life - misleading job advert

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs