Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:50
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2008

Hello,

This is very off-topic but it's driving me crazy.

There's a music video, maybe from the late 80s - mid 90s, that I've been trying to remember for a few days. The video is in black and white, or at least parts of it are. It's about a man who has to take care of his little daughter because the mother has run away from them to become a model. The video depicts how he struggles to carry on without the woman and the very close relationship he has with the girl. There's also a scene where the girl's mother, already a model, is on the back of a limo thinking about them. At the end of the video, the man is dancing with the little girl on a rooftop-- I think. And the guy is gorgeous, I used to have a crush on him when I was a kid.

I know it's stupid but I also know it's going to haunt me until I remember the name of the song.

Any information will be highly appreciated

Claudia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-01-17 07:08]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxdimitris_gre  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:50
More details? Jan 17, 2008

Can you remember anything about the singer? Or the kind of music?

Peru
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No details Jan 17, 2008

Hello Dimitrios,

Thank you for your reply. I don't remember anything about the song, for a minute I thought it was Rod Stewart's, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:50
Japanese to English
+ ...
Phil Collins? Jan 17, 2008

I seem to remember a video like that for a ballad by Phil Collins, I just don't remember the title of the song...("One More Night"? No, probably not it). I guess you could always search on Youtube... Darn, because of you now it will bug me too

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:50
English to German
+ ...
Try this website Jan 17, 2008

Maybe you will find it here: http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/features/greatestmusicvideosiv.asp

You can search for music videos using keywords, there is also a list "100 greatest music videos".

According to McAfee SiteAdvisor the website is safe to visit (other than most music websites...)

Anabel Canon
Local time: 07:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also remember it... Jan 17, 2008

... and now it's haunting me too, Claudia! I remember it perfectly (your description is very precise), but I do also NOT remember who's video is it. Maybe Elton John's? I'm looking around... I'll let you know if I find it!

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:50
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Sounds like... Jan 17, 2008

... a typical song by Billy Joel The script doesn't switch any light in my mind, but I'll try to think harder!

Peru
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Elton John Jan 17, 2008

Maria Canon wrote:

... and now it's haunting me too, Claudia! I remember it perfectly (your description is very precise), but I do also NOT remember who's video is it. Maybe Elton John's? I'm looking around... I'll let you know if I find it!

Yes! I'm 99% it's an Elton John song. I'll try to find it on youtube and I will post it as soon as I find it. Thanks to everyone.

Peru
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sacrifice Jan 17, 2008

Sacrifice of course. It wasn't in black and white, and they weren't dancing on the rooftop (that must've been another video) but the guy was still gorgeous; and both the video and song are lovely.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZvL2N0bXhE

Thank you so much.

TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Gorgeous, eh? Jan 17, 2008

The guy's in serious need of a shave and a new shirt.

And where did the kid come from all of a sudden? And how come he ends up having to look after it? I can just picture all the single mothers on ProZ going "Yeah, right ..."

Oh well, back to my Shakira video.

Peru
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jan 17, 2008

TonyTK wrote:

And where did the kid come from all of a sudden? And how come he ends up having to look after it? I can just picture all the single mothers on ProZ going "Yeah, right ..."

Oh well, back to my Shakira video.

Ha ha

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Hell yeah! Jan 17, 2008

TonyTK wrote:

Well, those are the accessories some men can use to enhance their gorgeousness. You see, the thing is that women like to improve men (it's like playing with dolls, really) - and there is no better material for improvement than a man desperately needing to buy some clothes and shave. A trip to the clothes store, a trip to the barber's... many women's wet dream! Nowadays, you can even take them to the beauty salon!

P.S.: I DO prefer clean guys. But being a woman, I can see why other women are into the "bad boy" look. Yes, even grown women still like to play with dolls - just like grown men like to play with cars.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
English to Italian
now I'm curious! Jan 17, 2008

Claudia,

Now I'm curious! I've been trying to remember what could be the video you described or who is the singer/band, but to little avail. My memory is just not cooperating today.

Tell me one thing: is the song a ballad by any chance? (looks like it is from your description, but I might be wrong). The 80ies/early 90ies were the times of pop and disco, but there was a pretty good amount of ballad songs, so that can narrow down the search. Do you remember a few words of the song, a sentence, a line?

Maybe it could be one of those one-hit-wonders that fell into oblivion after the first flop album...

Did you do by chance a Google search of the bands/singers of the 80ies and 90ies, to see if you find the name there?

OT: Hey, the 80ies/90ies were also the times of mullets, do you folks remember that? Gosh, they were horrible!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help me find a video clip

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs