Off topic: If you care about any part of your life, watch this. ("Story of stuff")
Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2008

This was sent to me by a friend and I took twenty minutes out of my working time to watch. It was twenty minutes well spent. WATCH...

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

I don't know if this has been posted before but it's informative and funny and WWW!

Paty

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-01-18 12:32]

Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:15
Worth watching! Jan 18, 2008

Thank you for sharing!
Piotr

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:15
English to French
+ ...
Thank you so much! Jan 19, 2008

I am already aware of most of this information, but the way it is presented - this is actually an excellent teaching tool! Even kids understand.

I will make sure to send this to all the people I know - I hate chain mail, but this one is worth it.

Thanks!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:15
Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely fantastic Jan 19, 2008

I don't want to jump into politics, so I'm not gonna say which party wouldn't want us to watch this, but I'm going say that it reminds me of an elephant

From their website:

The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns, with a special focus on the United States. All the stuff in our lives, beginning from the extraction of the resources to make it, through its production, sale, use and disposal, affects communities at home and abroad, yet most of this is hidden from view. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues and calls for all of us to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something. It'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever.

Source: http://www.storyofstuff.com/media.html

Josée Desbiens
Josée Desbiens
Canada
Local time: 07:15
English to French
Too bad this site is not translated in French... Jan 19, 2008

...it is very well done and I would have liked my three kids to watch it and learn from it...(even if I try to teach them a few things..)

Kristian Madar
Kristian Madar  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 13:15
English to Slovak
+ ...
Thank you very much Jan 20, 2008

I appreciate it that this important theme is considered also at proz.com.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If you care about any part of your life, watch this. ("Story of stuff")

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »