Thread poster: Ann Bishop
Ann Bishop  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 20, 2003

Hi all,

my husband and I will need a hotel in Rome for just one night on August 20th (if our trip to Malta is a go).

I was just wondering if there is any Proz member from Rome, who can actually gives us a good recommendation.

Something really Italian would be nice, not a chain hotel.

Sites like Expedia and Orbitz are interesting but I prefer to get my info from a native...

Additionally, if anyone has some good tips on Malta, please let me know. It\'s supposed to be Europe\'s best kept secret...

Looking forward to hearing from you.

grazie,

--Ann

Direct link Reply with quote

Raffaella Cornacchini  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
English to Italian
+ ...
a couple of tips for you Mar 20, 2003

Hi Ann,

why don\'t you have a look at www.enit.it which is the official site of the Italian Tourist Board. You will find plenty of tips and addresses.

For a short stay like yours I would recommend a hotel near Via del Corso or Pantheon or Piazza Navona, so you will stay in the heart of classical and renaissance Rome. A very nice one is Hotel del Sole, just a couple of minutes from Pantheon (I have never actually been there since I live in Rome, but got excellent reviews from friends).

As to Malta, why don\'t you try to get a guidebook published by Rough Guides. They are reliable, updated and absolutely my favourites on when I go abroad.

Bon voyage!

raffa1

Quote:

On 2003-03-20 02:03, asmulders wrote:

Hi all,

my husband and I will need a hotel in Rome for just one night on August 20th (if our trip to Malta is a go).

I was just wondering if there is any Proz member from Rome, who can actually gives us a good recommendation.

Something really Italian would be nice, not a chain hotel.

Sites like Expedia and Orbitz are interesting but I prefer to get my info from a native...

Additionally, if anyone has some good tips on Malta, please let me know. It\'s supposed to be Europe\'s best kept secret...

Looking forward to hearing from you.

grazie,

--Ann

Olga Antonova  Identity Verified
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Hotel in Rome Mar 20, 2003

Give a look on www.venere.com (selecting Rome).

It\'s really good, I often use it to book the hotels all over the Italy.

Best regards.

Olga.

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Rome hotel Mar 20, 2003

Hi Ann,

I live about 2 hours north of Rome, and when I have relatives in town we usually spend a couple of nights in Rome. Through friends who live there, we stumbled on a lovely little hotel, with very nice people, artwork on all the walls and a garden in the back. I\'ve stayed there twice now, and will definitely return the next time I have friends or family here.

The hotel is just outside the walls at the top of Via Veneto, and best of all it\'s right across the street from the Borghese Gallery that reopened last year. The Berninis alone are worth the admission price! Here\'s the link for the gallery, as you need to book in advance.

http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm

There is street parking, which is safe because there\'s a round-the-clock police guard at some villa up the road.

Here\'s the info on the hotel (I kept their card!):

Hotel Villa Borghese

Via Pinciana 31

Tel. +39 06 85300919 / +39 06 8549648

Fax +39 06 8414100

They also have a website: www.hotelvillaborghese.it

e-mail: hotel.villaborghese@tiscali.it

My sister and I got a triple there last month and I think we paid about 180 euro, breakfast included.

I hope this helps, but feel free to write to me if you need more info.

Catherine

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Fiumicino town. Mar 20, 2003

If you are flying in or out of Leonardo da Vinci (Fiumicino) and you don\'t have much time, there is a reasonable hotel in Fiumicino town called MACH 2. They have a shuttle too and from the terminal and prices and service etc. are reasonable. If you have a little time, then also there are a couple of restaurants in Fiumicino at the harbour and if the weather is OK then an evening stroll to the pier end is also quite pleasant.

Marcela García  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hotel Oxford Mar 20, 2003

Last time I went to Rome I stayed at the Oxford Hotel, which was very confortable, located half a block from Via Veneto, at Via Boncompagni 89. We paid about 100 Euro per night. It was located at a really strategic place, just great for walking around.

You may want to check on this link:

http://www.dilos.com/hotel/567

Good luck,

Marcela

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:30
Italian to English
+ ...
venere.com is great... Mar 20, 2003

I use venere all the time (to book in northern italy). Love it.

R.

==

Quote:

Give a look on www.venere.com (selecting Rome).

It\'s really good, I often use it to book the hotels all over the Italy.

Best regards.

Olga.

Ann Bishop  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info! Mar 20, 2003

I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to my vacation...

I did buy the Rough Guide on Malta and Gozo, but haven\'t had time to look at it yet.

If you ever need some info on Belgium and the US, let me know.

Grazie,

Ann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hotel recommendation in Rome

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs