Thread poster: Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:51
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Feb 29, 2008

Dear All,

I am proud to inform you that our respected colleague (and dear friend of mine) Angela Arnone, will join Mr. Robinson in presenting the educational project "REMEMBERING ORTONA": as designated representative of the City of Ortona.

http://www.iictoronto.esteri.it/IIC_Toronto/webform/SchedaEvento.aspx?id=221

By invitation of the Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Angela will travel to Canada to testify how much the memories of that war episode in her adoptive town are still alive, for a project of the Istituto Italiano di Cultura, in collaboration with the Canadian and World Studies.

Well done Angela!

Angio

[Edited at 2008-02-29 21:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nice one Angela Feb 29, 2008

All the best for the presentation and enjoy Toronto!

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Congrats Angela! Feb 29, 2008

Have a great time in Toronto!
Gianni

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 03:51
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Congratulations, dear friend! Feb 29, 2008

Don't forget your parka (don't buy one here; you'll never use it again LOL.) It's nothing like Sitges here at this time of year

Make sure you pick up some maple syrup while you're here, too - the season should start this week.

All the best, Angela

Nancy

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:51
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Congratulatons, again, Angela Feb 29, 2008

Dear Angela,
So great to hear about your continuing involvement with the Ortona project.
Congratulations, dear friend. I am so proud of you, Angela!

Have a great weekend,
Monika

Angio wrote:

Dear All,

I am proud to inform you that our respected colleague (and dear friend of mine) Angela Arnone, will join Mr. Robinson in presenting the educational project "REMEMBERING ORTONA": as designated representative of the City of Ortona.

http://www.iictoronto.esteri.it/IIC_Toronto/webform/SchedaEvento.aspx?id=221

By invitation of the Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Angela will travel to Canada to testify how much the memories of that war episode in her adoptive town are still alive, for a project of The Istituto Italiano di Cultura, in collaboration with the Canadian and World Studies.

Well done Angela!

Angio

[Edited at 2008-02-29 17:11]

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi folkZ Feb 29, 2008

Sorry I've been keeping my head down ... you know how it is ... all the deadlines to meet, family to sort etc, before I can pack up and leave.
Just preparing my presentation (very nervous now) and hope I don't get too many rotten tomatoes coming my way.
Joking apart, this is a very important event for the town where I live and for all the efforts we have made to honour the sacrifices of that terrible time.
We look forward to this great cultural exchange with Canada and all that it represents.

Shame about the weather ...

Nancy, I will be in Ottawa briefly too, so if you're around, it would be good to see you again.

Monika, thanks for remembering our talks about this project.

Angela

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Congratulations! Feb 29, 2008

Great project with great historical and intercultural aspects / importance, in my opinion.

Just some weeks ago, I made a photomontage about Commonwealth War Graves:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=b88ox7ync4o
Not so far-reaching like your project, I have to admit.

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-02-29 21:42]

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Congratulazioni vivissime! Feb 29, 2008

Have a safe trip and a pleasant stay and..don't forget to post some pictures of the event!

Take care. Ciao!

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Angela, a toast... Mar 1, 2008

This was the interlingual mediation project she married

No joke, if you've known Angela as long as we have, you'll know that some projects DO touch your life -- and very deeply.

Keep warm!! Rather ashamed to say I was going to Canada myself but have chickened (parroted?) out till later in spring.

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Have a good trip! Mar 1, 2008

Angela Arnone wrote:

this is a very important event for the town where I live and for all the efforts we have made to honour the sacrifices of that terrible time.
We look forward to this great cultural exchange with Canada and all that it represents.

Angela

I understand and fully agree. I was born long after WW II, but in my family and elsewhere, there are still a lot of people who live with the memories of this period every day. I'm sure this trip is going to be enjoyable and rewarding, but probably emotionally demanding as well.

Good luck and take care!

P.S. I wouldn't worry about tomatoes too much.....

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
We need to swap notes Mar 1, 2008

My veteran friends cannot praise Dutch hospitality too much. Many who fought in Ortona came to Holland and many were the local lovelies who married Canadian boys.

Arnhem is high on our list of towns to twin with.

Angela

Henk Peelen wrote:

Great project with great historical and intercultural aspects / importance, in my opinion.

Just some weeks ago, I made a photomontage about Commonwealth War Graves:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=b88ox7ync4o
Not so far-reaching like your project, I have to admit.

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-02-29 21:42]

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Cinderella army Mar 1, 2008

Angela Arnone wrote:
Many who fought in Ortona came to Holland and many were the local lovelies who married Canadian boys.

Well, perhaps that's the reason the Canadian army was called the Cinderella army.
Unfortunately, they got the tasks with most danger and lowest "political reward" (liberating big cities like Paris was a polical "reward"). I'm afraid Ortona was such a Cinderella task. As to the North West Europe scheme, after "Landlord" the British "assigned" them the left wing of the theatre: they had to clear the pockets, the North Sea harbour cities, which turned out to be heavy tasks. The remaining Germans couldn't move back to rearrange and knowing the immense value of harbours, they really wouldn't give up. Spring 1945 the situation changed for the better. Now the liberation was much easier, the liberated areas bigger, and the liberated people way more thankfull. So thankfull a lot of fathers of nice girls reserved them a lot of leisurte activities. But now, be carefull with the hospitality of the Dutch, especially when you bring cigarettes and chocolate. So, less covered: they just prostituted their daughters. Big problem when a baby was awaited: the truth was not allowed to be true, so the girls were not allowed to come home anymore, or when they were, they didn't get a baby, but a little sister. Theyr mother might have been sixty, but who cares? You had to have a inventive mind that days! Business as usual! Another eye-opener is that a lot of them were former "moffenmeiden". A Dutch nickname for Germans is "Mof", akin to the Dutch word for the verb grumble, "mopperen", and probably akin to the English verb mock. Meid is akin to maiden. So, moffenmeiden mostly were part-time "soldiers joy". Between September 1944 and May 1945 they simply adapted themselves to the circumstances. Who wouldn't?
However, not focussing too much on the fact that transfering just one of the sexes for a long time invites people to hastily "solutions", a huge amount of romances arose, stenghtening the beautiful cultural exchange the sad development war is very often implies.
We're putting ourselves on the sidelines, but in the Dutch language verbs can become transitive by applying the prefix for "by" (bij, with variants be and ge), over (over, or the variant ver). Next to that, the infinitive always ands on en. Free is vrij, so with the infix "d" liberate, free is "bevrijden", past participle is "bevrijd". The Dutch verb for cuddle, making love, have a boyfriend / girlfriend has to do with having free time, namely "vrijen". A cabaret artist smartly used his artistic freedom to make a transitive verb out of it, namely "bevrijen", which also would have had the past participle "bevrijd". So, when he jokes about the 1945-1947 periode, he makes the crowd smiling with summarixing this period "In 1947 when the Canadians left, the whole of The Netherlands were "bevrijd"". Nowadays, people like to remind a lot of that formerly hidden love relations, and for instance Eric Clapton found his father.

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-03-01 19:56]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Congratulations to Angela Arnone

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs