Thread poster: Yolanda Bello

Yolanda Bello  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 18, 2008

Hello to all Swiss prozians!

I will be visiting Switzerland next April and I would love to receive suggestions
regarding places you think are a must for visitors.

I have been doing research on my own but I think it is still a good idea to ask people who actually live there.

Thanks

Kind regards,

Y

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 06:34
German to English
Lucerne Mar 18, 2008

Of all the various places I've visited in Switzerland, Lucerne/Luzern has the most to offer
http://www.luzern.org/en/welcome.cfm
Lakes, mountains, gorgeous city.

Bring a suitcase full of cash when you visit Switzerland. It's breathtakingly expensive.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Maybe you could be more specific? Mar 18, 2008

Are you interested in culture, art, gastronomy, landscapes? There is so much to see. And I have seen only part of it.
There is the Paul Klee Zentrum in Bern and very good art museums everywhere else.
Just a suggestion.
Regards
Heinrich

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More specific... Mar 18, 2008

I'm interested in all sorts of suggestions to make the most of my stay.

I will try to visit several places since I will be staying for 2 weeks.

I love sightseeing, I love museums, I enjoy attending concerts, I like visiting natural attractions, I would like to try the local gastronomy, I like art galleries....

I guess I can't be very specific

Any suggestion worth trying will be welcome!

Y

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
German to English
+ ...
Blog Mar 18, 2008

You'll find this site http://www.swissworld.org/en/ site pretty comprehensive. And you can 'blog in' Enjoy your trip

ozan karakış
Turkey
Local time: 13:34
English to Turkish
+ ...
interlaken Mar 18, 2008

very nice little town, surrounded by two beatiful lakes, on the skirts of Jungfrau, wonderful hiking opportunities...

We (me+wife+ 2kids) stayed in a backpacker's hotel for 70 Euro/night. You can find many of such hotels in and around the town.

Enjoy your trip

Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:34
English to German
+ ...
Interlaken as well Mar 18, 2008

ozan karakış wrote:
very nice little town, surrounded by two beatiful lakes, on the skirts of Jungfrau, wonderful hiking opportunities...
We (me+wife+ 2kids) stayed in a backpacker's hotel for 70 Euro/night. You can find many of such hotels in and around the town.

If the weather is good (but only if it's good), do go up to the Jungfraujoch. I know it's a bit of a cliché, but the view from up there on a clear day is just spectacular! Plus you'll be able to tell all your friends (especially if they're climbers) that you've been in the both legendary and infamous North Face of the Eiger, as the train goes right through it...

http://www.interlaken.ch/ferienorte/interlaken-matten-unterseen.html?L=3

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-8//183_read-808

[Edited at 2008-03-18 12:49]

Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 10:34
German to English
+ ...
Ticino Mar 18, 2008

Lugano - in fact almost anywhere in Ticino sottoceneri is a must. It's like Italy, only civilised (I say that as a former long-term resident of Milan, before anyone jumps on me.)

Oh - and make a point of driving over the Gotthard pass rather than throught the tunnel.

Christine Schmit  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
Switzerland Mar 18, 2008

I lived in Geneva for over 5 years and 5 months in Zurich. Both are very nice cities and I also really like Lucerne and Bern. The Château de Chillon close to Montreux is also very beautiful. The good thing in Switzerland is that you can visit a lot of places in a short time, because getting around by train is very easy (just pretty expensive). It's just 3 hours from Geneva to Zurich for example.
If you need more specific tips for Geneva, feel free to contact me.

Enjoy your trip!

Christine

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Been there, done that! May 8, 2008

I went last April to Switzerland and followed several of your suggestions.
The problem now is that I loved the place so much that I'm going back next July to continue doing sightseeing and visiting the mountains.

I love CH!

Regards and thanks to all for your advice,

Y

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Places worth visiting in Switzerland in April

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs