Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:16
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 22, 2008

Hi all,

I want to hear your suggestions for a third-party tool that can do text searches in multiple Excel files.

My typical usage is to search for software strings in glossary files, that contain a lot of code and terms more or less jumbled...

I know, Windows has a search funtion in Explorer that does this, but I'm looking for something more versatile:
- faster
- can search in multiple folders, not just one folder structure
- boolean operators
- other search parameters, limit search by column, limit by start-end character etc.

Is there such a search tool? What do you use?

/J

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
google desktop Apr 22, 2008

You can set the file type in Preferences.
You cannot directly restrict the search to certain columns but that may not be so important.
HTH
Attila

Buck
Netherlands
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
Wondered about that myself Apr 22, 2008

I still do not understand why people insist on using Excel for text. What's wrong with tables in Word (or your word processor of choice)?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
one option is sleuthhound Apr 22, 2008

http://www.isleuthhound.com/

Or you can export as csv and use UltraEdit http://www.ultraedit.com/

Or export to Word and use http://www.searchandreplace.com/search_replace.htm

HTH

Antonin

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
ApSIC XBench Apr 23, 2008

is perfect for this kind of files once you have saved them as .csv files (like Microsoft Glossaries). It displays the results as columns so you can instantly check both source and target and other fields. A very useful tool, not only for glossaries !

Sylvain

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 24, 2008

Buck wrote:

I still do not understand why people insist on using Excel for text. What's wrong with tables in Word (or your word processor of choice)?

Thanks a lot everybody for the useful suggestions.

Just a clarification for Buck: we're not talking about "people" insisting anything here.

Like Sylvain suggested, these are huge software glossary files, 10-15 columns wide, and thousands of lines long. The glossary terms have been dumped in cells automatically by the client's tool.

Think Microsoft, Apple, IBM etc... You can't really dial a number, call up the client and tell them to use adapt their entire globalization workflow and use Word instead, just because one poor translator prefers it!

[Edited at 2008-04-24 12:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text search tool for Excel files?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs