Thread poster: Sandra Alboum

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 30, 2008

I've got a very strange page numbering problem in Word. In my document, it goes from page 18 to page 27, and I cannot get it to continue with page 19, even if I tell it to "start" numbering at 19. Is there anyone out there who is a page numbering expert and can help me out? I'm at wit's end.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Check for segments Apr 30, 2008

and links to previous and/or next sextion. This is especially messy if the document is a conversion from a PDF.

Good luck

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 23:58
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Which version of Word? Apr 30, 2008

In 2003, go Tools-Options, check "Field Codes" checkfield in the "Show" section and view the code in the page-numbering field - most likely it will be self-explaining.

Ms.Straus  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
If all else fails: remove all formatting, copy-paste into blank doc Apr 30, 2008

I repeat: if all else fails. Sometimes there's so much hidden formatting you cannot possibly remove/edit it without going insane. In such cases it's often better to start afresh.

[Edited at 2008-04-30 23:32]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
+ ...
Open and Repair Apr 30, 2008

There's no guarantee this will work, but have you tried opening it via the Open and Repair function yet?

Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Copy-paste into blank document May 1, 2008

"If all else fails: remove all formatting, copy-paste into blank doc"

I agree with Eva. It's the simplest and fastest way to resolve most of the formatting problems (according to ECDL-instructors).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help - Page Numbering Problem

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs