Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 17, 2008

My printer/scanner is 6 months old (Epson).

I use original or refilled cartridges (no difference in the problem).

I have cleaned every which way, including manually, but still get lines across the page, so bad that basically printing is a waste of time.

Any ideas what I can/should do?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Clean print head May 17, 2008

Sadly, this is an all-too-common problem with printers of the Epson type, which use a print head that stays in the machine even when you change the ink cartridge.

It often seems to be caused by a blocked print head — this can be caused by lack of use, allowing an ink cartridge to run right out before replacing, and (at least according to original cartridge manufacturers!) using 'inferior' refilled or non-OEM cartridges.

You can get cleaning fluid for cleaning print he
... See more
Sadly, this is an all-too-common problem with printers of the Epson type, which use a print head that stays in the machine even when you change the ink cartridge.

It often seems to be caused by a blocked print head — this can be caused by lack of use, allowing an ink cartridge to run right out before replacing, and (at least according to original cartridge manufacturers!) using 'inferior' refilled or non-OEM cartridges.

You can get cleaning fluid for cleaning print heads, but in the case of my own Epson, that didn't work, and I had to pay a computer shop to clean them for me. However, that didn't prove a long-term solution, and the next time it occurred, rather than pay 2 × repair bills which came to more than a new printer, I'm afraid I binned it and bought a new printer — but this time of a make not prone to this particular problem (which I'm pleased to say has now been working perfectly for over 5 years!)

[Edited at 2008-05-17 15:20]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

It suddenly got better ...but thanks for the tips:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

printing problem (lines, poor qiuality)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »