Can't edit word in Step headings (numbered list)
Thread poster: Andrew Levine

Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
May 18, 2008

Hello all,

I have just translated a French Word document (which was created by the client) into English using SDLX. It is a list of instructions, and each step has the heading "Step 1," "Step 2," etc. When I open the file in Word 2000, I see that the word "Step" in the section headings is still in French: They read "Etape 1" followed by the name of the step in English. I am unable to edit the word "Etape" and the step number that follows it, though I can edit anything else normally. If I press enter after the line that reads "Etape 1", it automatically begins the new line with "Etape 2," which leads me to think that this is some variation of numbered list, and not normal text.

I changed the language of the document to English but this did not help. I even tried Find/Replace but this does nothing (no results for "Etape").

Can anyone help me? All I want to do is change the word "Etape" to "Step." I have Word 2007 at my disposal as well if anyone wants to provide a solution using the newer version.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:55
French to English
+ ...
Automatic numbered lists May 18, 2008

It must have been set up as an automatic numbered list, Andrew. I suggest you look under that heading, and you should be able to see where you can change the word.

It's under Format > Bullets and Lists and then you go into the 'List styles' tab to modify the header text at each level

I think that should do the trick!

[Edited at 2008-05-18 09:02]

Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked May 18, 2008

Thank you, Tony, that did the job!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't edit word in Step headings (numbered list)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs