Tony M
France
Local time: 04:14
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 18, 2008

Hello!

I'm using Word 2003 under XP Professional, and for some unknown reason, just today, it has started inserting a wide space after each single quote (‘ or ’) that I type, and at that point changing the language to Arab.

The original document is in FR, but I have globally changed the language to EN, and the document uses styles from a NL source that do not contain 'Arab' as their language.

I have 'detect language automatically' turned off.

... See more
Hello!

I'm using Word 2003 under XP Professional, and for some unknown reason, just today, it has started inserting a wide space after each single quote (‘ or ’) that I type, and at that point changing the language to Arab.

The original document is in FR, but I have globally changed the language to EN, and the document uses styles from a NL source that do not contain 'Arab' as their language.

I have 'detect language automatically' turned off.

I have the 'smart quotes' option turned on.

Presumably this is some auto-correct-type feature, but it has never done this on me before, and I'm at a bit of a loss to know where to look for this very unhelpful feature so that I can turn it off.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem, or got a suggestion as to how to put it right? I have found a temporary work-around (turn off smart quotes and change them globally afterwards, or else enter opening and closing quotes manually using 'insert special characters' or the ASCII codes), but this is time-wasting, and I'd just like to get back to my dear old Word working like it always used to before!
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 22:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ideas... May 18, 2008

Hi Tony!

I don't have Word 2003 or XP Pro, but that probably makes no difference...

You say it changes the language - but are you sure that it's not actually changing the current 'style' to a style that has Arabic as its language? To check that, make sure you have the Styles button (actually, a drop-down) on the toolbar.

Styles can be changed on the fly with short-cuts (as you type your single quotes, for example) - they can be seen/changed in "Format -->
... See more
Hi Tony!

I don't have Word 2003 or XP Pro, but that probably makes no difference...

You say it changes the language - but are you sure that it's not actually changing the current 'style' to a style that has Arabic as its language? To check that, make sure you have the Styles button (actually, a drop-down) on the toolbar.

Styles can be changed on the fly with short-cuts (as you type your single quotes, for example) - they can be seen/changed in "Format --> Style --> Select the format --> Modify --> Shortcut Key".

If that's what's causing the problem the easy solution is to change (or remove) the shortcut in the "Arabic" style.

HTH,
MediaMatrix

PS: When looking for an offending style, select "All Styles" in the Style dialogue - the problem may come from a style that is embedded in the doc. but not actually used. A style with the Arabic language may be a 'carry-over' from some other document processed previously by the NL author, which ends up in the client's normal (or whatever) template.

[Edited at 2008-05-18 12:49]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003: Language changes to Arab every time I type a single quote

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »