Office 2003: usable in a lan environment?
Thread poster: Francesco Amormino

Francesco Amormino  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
German to Italian
+ ...
May 29, 2008

Dear fellow translators,

my wife and I would like to buy Office 2003. Since we are working on a lan environment, we are wondering if there would be any problems using office 2003 applications (mainly Word on different files) on two different PCs at the same time (of course, with 2 different licenses).

And if there are no problems, can we use every kind of Office 2003 (Basic, Professional, Small Business, etc.) in a lan.

I am looking forward to receiving your precious suggestions.

Francesco

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
French to Polish
+ ...
No problem at all... May 29, 2008

Francesco Amormino wrote:

my wife and I would like to buy Office 2003. Since we are working on a lan environment, we are wondering if there would be any problems using office 2003 applications (mainly Word on different files) on two different PCs at the same time (of course, with 2 different licenses).

And if there are no problems, can we use every kind of Office 2003 (Basic, Professional, Small Business, etc.) in a lan.

No problem at all...
Almost all my files are on the network.

Cheers
GG

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:55
Spanish to French
+ ...
version control May 29, 2008

But if you really work on a file at the same time, you won't be able to save your changes (unless Office has changed in that sense in recent versions). For example, if you work on a file, your wife will have to wait for you to "release" (namely save and close) the file to be able to save her changes. But here comes the issue of version control. She might overwrite your changes...
There are some version control software products like Perforce (the only one I have used, but I am sure there are plenty others) to handle that.
I know Word 2003 or 2007 has introduced some version control features, but I am not sure if it works for multiple users.

[Modifié le 2008-05-29 15:37]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2003: usable in a lan environment?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs