Word creates links to websites/ e-mail addresses
Thread poster: Tim Drayton

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 10:20
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2008

There is one default process in Word that drives me nuts. You type the URL of a website or an e-mail address, press the space bar and Word automatically creates a clickable link to that URL. Why would I want that, anyway? I certainly do not need this in the kinds of legal documents that I mostly translate.
OK, I know that you can just click on the "undo" arrow, and this annoying link disappears. However, I wonder if there are any settings within Word that I can access to disable this default action, thus sparing me the effort of having to constantly undo the result.
Does this annoy anybody else as much as me (I have just been working on a large legal document containing vast numbers of e-mail addresses!)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Here is the solution Jun 1, 2008

Hi Tim,

Tools > AutoCorrect Options... > AutoFormat As You Type
Uncheck Internet and network paths with hyperlinks

HTH

Selcuk Akyuz

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 2, 2008

Thanks, Selçuk. I'll do it immediately.

Monica Tuduce  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 09:20
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Right click on it Jun 2, 2008

+ Remove hyperlink. You have to do it for each link created, but you may need AutoFormat As You Type.

Monica

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
shortcut for removing hyperlinks Jun 3, 2008

ctrl+A (select all) then ctrl+shift+F9 removes all hyperlinks. But google it for details

Monica Tuduce  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 09:20
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Thank you Selcuk! Jun 4, 2008

It's great to know that. I always thought that it should be some feature for making those changes all in one, but never searched for it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word creates links to websites/ e-mail addresses

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs