Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:46
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 5, 2008

Today I opened my Excel-file for bookkeeping and started to update it. But today I cannot fill in a cell and go to the next cell using arrow-right. When I hit arrow-right the table moves one column to the left in the Excel window, but the cursor stays in the edited cell. I have to hit return to get out.
Can anyone tell me what has happened and how to get back to the normal behaviour?
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
ScrollLock Jun 5, 2008

You have pressed ScrollLock. Strangely, MS Excel is probably the only one of the widely used software applications in the PC/Windows world where ScrollLock has any effect.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Jun 5, 2008

Yes, that was it. I did not even know there was such a key. Thanks for your fast help!

Pompeo Lattanzi
Italy
Local time: 04:46
English to Italian
+ ...
It has its uses! Jun 5, 2008

bsb_2 wrote:

You have pressed ScrollLock. Strangely, MS Excel is probably the only one of the widely used software applications in the PC/Windows world where ScrollLock has any effect.

The scrollock is extremely useful, I would say essential, when you have to explore a (typically) large worksheet without losing you present position. This happens often if you modify the sheet regularly. Of course you can divide and lock windows too, but it would be too much work if all you need is a quick peek.
I also use another trick: I enter a "+", thereby starting a formula in the cell, then I go wandering wherever I need to. After I've found out whatever it was, typically in a very far worksheet, all I need to do is press "Esc" and I'm back to where I started instantly!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel behaves strangely

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs