Excellent AND PRECISE word count tool for Word!
Thread poster: Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:13
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 6, 2008

This excellent tool was brought to my attention from Corinne McKays excellent Thoughts on Translation blog, it's called CompleteWordCount, search for it and you will find it on Shauna Kelly's site.

This tool is an add-in for Word and it will count ALL words - also footnotes, headers, boxes etc. I found it a bit hard to install, but I got it working in the end.

Word's own wordcounter is not reliable, as many of us have realised, because it only counts "normal" text.
... See more
This excellent tool was brought to my attention from Corinne McKays excellent Thoughts on Translation blog, it's called CompleteWordCount, search for it and you will find it on Shauna Kelly's site.

This tool is an add-in for Word and it will count ALL words - also footnotes, headers, boxes etc. I found it a bit hard to install, but I got it working in the end.

Word's own wordcounter is not reliable, as many of us have realised, because it only counts "normal" text.

I have not provided direct links as I don't think I am allowed, but I do hope I am allowed to do the above, explain how to find it.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you mean a macro? Jun 6, 2008

In 2003 this posting offered a macro for wordcount in Word:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/14297-word_count_on_ms_word_with_lots_of_text_boxes.html#91399

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure Jun 6, 2008

Hi Heinrich, it could be a macro, admittedly I have not got much experience with macros, but it is a .dot-file, and I guess that does mean it's a macro? Add-ins is a broad term, as I understand it, even Wordfast is an add-in.

I still think it's very usefull

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Links to software sites Jun 6, 2008

We are not forbidden to give these, are we? I've seen a lot in the forums and have used some of them to download useful software.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I have it now Jun 6, 2008

I shan't need it very often because I rarely use text boxes etc., but trying it on a source file, it found 10590 words against 9005 including footnotes & endnotes in Word's own word count.
I find it easy to use, and very unobtrusive, if you uncheck it in the toolbar list it disappears till you need it again.

Thank you very much, Ivana!

[Edited at 2008-06-06 16:37]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Right, but Jun 6, 2008

Ivana Friis Wilson wrote:

I use it as well, but the major drawback for me is that it only counts words and no characters, which makes it unsuitable for a line or page count.

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:13
English to Russian
+ ...

Nice tool, all right!:) I am now going to proceed with its installation:)
Thanks so much, Ivana!
Best regards,
Andrei

Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Local time: 04:13
Japanese to English
Another Word macro and a stand-alone app Jun 7, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
I use it as well, but the major drawback for me is that it only counts words and no characters, which makes it unsuitable for a line or page count.

I have a Word macro on my website that counts characters (but not lines, sorry):
ginstrom.com/software/wordmacros/wordcount.php

I also have a stand-alone application that handles Word files as well as several other formats:
ginstrom.com/CountAnything/

They're both free.

The advantage of the macro version is that it uses Word's native functionality, so the word count should be nearly identical to what Word would give you.
(Incidentally, Word 2007 finally counts words in text boxes.)

Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excellent AND PRECISE word count tool for Word!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »