Mobile menu

New computer - can Word 2003 be installed over Word 2007?
Thread poster: Gilda Manara

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:31
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2008

I have a PC with Windows XP, Office Professional 2003 and Trados 7.5. I am going to replace it with a new one, and as I would like to replicate the settings I have on the current one as much as possible, because they work very well, I have ordered it with Windows XP installed; it wasn't possible to order it with Office Professional 2003 so I have declined having Office 2007 installed and it will come with Works 9.0 - which includes Word 2007. So I am going to install by myself the Office Professional Suite 2003 I own (it wasn't OEM, so I don't expect any problem). The only doubt I have is about Word - I have read in other fora on the Internet that if you try to install Word 2003 over Word 2007, you get the message that Word is already installed and cannot be replaced. I suppose then that the only workaround would be first uninstalling Word 2007 and then installing the complete suite 2003. Has anybody been in the same situation and can confirm it will be the right way to be followed? I would prefer to tinker as little as possible with a "new" computer and be able to start working on it as quickly as possible...

Unfortunately my technical skills with computers are enough to let me make a mess of them - but not enough to remedy the mess I have created!

Can you also suggest any software which would allow me to transfer documents, settings and especially applications in the most straightforward possible way?

Thanks a lot in advance for all suggestions!


Gilda


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 18:31
English to Greek
+ ...
not sure, but... Jun 7, 2008

Dear Gilda,

I know that 2007 can be installed over 2003 and keep both versions of Office on your system at the same time, or choose which programmes you want to have from 2003 and which ones from 2007 (for example, you can have Excel 2007 and Word 2003 only). However, I don't know if the same is true about installing 2003 over 2007... I assume that if you try to install 2003, either it will be installed without problems, or you will get a message saying that it is impossible. I cannot imagine anything worse happening.

BTW, I am not any kind of computer genious myself, so...
... it might be a good idea to wait for the opinion of a more expert colleague!

Good luck!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:31
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 7, 2008

Hi Eleni, thanks for the answer - that's exactly what I had found in other fora, ie. that people who had been trying to install Word 2003 over Word 2007 had got a message that it was impossible; but unfortunately nobody had suggested a solution, that's why I am asking here too, in case some colleague has gone through the same experience and can suggest how to do.

Have a nice week-end

Gilda


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Both can work on the same computer Jun 7, 2008

I use word 2003 and word 2007 on the same computer with no problems. If I am translating with workbench, I use 2003 version. If I am typing a letter of complaint to BT (again), I use the newer version. Both work fine.

I am not sure what exactly you are worried about. A new computer ships with windows Vista, with office 2007 on it (at the very least they'll give you a 90 day trial version).

You can still install Office 2003 suite (or the parts you want) on the same computer: perhaps a look at this might clarify:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/107233-word_2003_+_vista_trados_7.html

What happened in my case was that Windows told me 'you already have this a version of this program on your system - do you want to replace it?' And I just clicked NO, keep both.

I don't think it's a case of installing one 'over' the other - you should be able to get both to work side by side. Good luck anyway.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:31
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
great Jun 7, 2008

thank you, John, that's exactly what I hoped to hear!

By the way - do your letters to BT sort any effect? writing to them is also one of my favourite pastimes...))))


Gilda


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Deinstall all 2007 applications first, install 2003 and reinstall 2007 Jun 7, 2008

This will work perfectly.
I've done that on my new laptop with Windows XP.
It came with Office 2007 Basic preinstalled. I deleted this installation, installed Office 2003 and then installed 2007 back again. The only consequence was, that I had to give up Outlook 2003. This is however not a big problem, as you can import and export the data between those versions without any trouble. When installing Office 2007, remember to keep the old software installed. The installer will by default remove them.
After you've done the installation start this version of Word, which you will use als default (in my case 2003). Then follow the instructions from this Microsoft article.
Please note, that version 12 is Office 2007 and you have to repeat the same steps for version 11, which is Office 2003.

Installing older software over a newer one may cause you some big trouble, as some common components for the older version might not be installed then.

BR and good luck
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
BT are a shower of... Jun 7, 2008

They charged me a small fortune to install a line (and took 6 weeks), then tried to charge me a small fortune for changing supplier because I wasn't satisfied with their (slow) service - which I refused to pay.

Oh yes, and they simply cannot get my address right. Not very good communication for a, er, communications company, is it?!!

But I am straying off topic...I should have mentioned that I am using vista home premium as the OperatingSystem and as far as the link to the article that Jerry supplied, I have read it, but won't be making any changes to my system, as it works fine as it is. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it: never truer when dealing with computers in my experience.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

amurati
Local time: 17:31
English to Albanian
+ ...
Office 2003 over office 2007 Jun 8, 2008

Gilda Manara wrote:

I have a PC with Windows XP, Office Professional 2003 and Trados 7.5. I am going to replace it with a new one, and as I would like to replicate the settings I have on the current one as much as possible, because they work very well, I have ordered it with Windows XP installed; it wasn't possible to order it with Office Professional 2003 so I have declined having Office 2007 installed and it will come with Works 9.0 - which includes Word 2007. So I am going to install by myself the Office Professional Suite 2003 I own (it wasn't OEM, so I don't expect any problem). The only doubt I have is about Word - I have read in other fora on the Internet that if you try to install Word 2003 over Word 2007, you get the message that Word is already installed and cannot be replaced. I suppose then that the only workaround would be first uninstalling Word 2007 and then installing the complete suite 2003. Has anybody been in the same situation and can confirm it will be the right way to be followed? I would prefer to tinker as little as possible with a "new" computer and be able to start working on it as quickly as possible...

Unfortunately my technical skills with computers are enough to let me make a mess of them - but not enough to remedy the mess I have created!

Can you also suggest any software which would allow me to transfer documents, settings and especially applications in the most straightforward possible way?

Thanks a lot in advance for all suggestions!


Gilda


I have installed Office 2003 over Office 2007 but only problem is if you want ot open a document with Office 2003 then you have firstly to open the Excel 2003 on the start meny then go and open using it's meny Open


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:31
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jerzy Jun 8, 2008

clear and exhaustive as always... I will follow carefully your instructions.

Have a good Sunday


Gilda


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You don't have to go that way Jun 8, 2008

Ahmet Murati wrote:
I have installed Office 2003 over Office 2007 but only problem is if you want ot open a document with Office 2003 then you have firstly to open the Excel 2003 on the start meny then go and open using it's meny Open


Please follow the instructions in the Microsoft article mentioned in my previous post.
In order to have Word 2003 as default application do the following:

  • Install Office 2003
  • Install Office 2007
  • Start Word 2007, it will register itself in the system as default application
  • Now start word 2003 and it will now register itself as default application
  • Follow the steps in MS article both for Office version 12 and 11
  • Word 2003 will remain as default and both Word 2003 and 2007 will stop reregistering themselves when started


BR
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

magic magic
China
Local time: 23:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
both could work at the same time, no need to delete or reinstall Jun 9, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Please follow the instructions in the Microsoft article mentioned in my previous post.
In order to have Word 2003 as default application do the following:

  • Install Office 2003
  • Install Office 2007
  • Start Word 2007, it will register itself in the system as default application
  • Now start word 2003 and it will now register itself as default application
  • Follow the steps in MS article both for Office version 12 and 11
  • Word 2003 will remain as default and both Word 2003 and 2007 will stop reregistering themselves when started


yea, I agree


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New computer - can Word 2003 be installed over Word 2007?

Advanced search






memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs