Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have just translated an Excel file, no problems. Problem is that all line brakes within cells (many of them, in every cell) were changed for a little square in the text...

I know I can manually select and replace the squares for a line break (Alt+enter), but there are more than a thousands squares...

Does anybody knows how to replace all of these automatically? When I try to copy and paste the squares nothing happens, and
... See more
Thanks in advance for your help.

I have just translated an Excel file, no problems. Problem is that all line brakes within cells (many of them, in every cell) were changed for a little square in the text...

I know I can manually select and replace the squares for a line break (Alt+enter), but there are more than a thousands squares...

Does anybody knows how to replace all of these automatically? When I try to copy and paste the squares nothing happens, and in the rReplace with field I cannot do the Alt+Enter.

Thanks in advance

Rufino
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 08:47
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Export and S&R Jun 30, 2008

If there is no formatting, save as "tab delimited"
If formatting is an issue, save as "XML spreadsheet".

Now open in a good plain-text editor (such as UltraEdit) and search and replace. Standard Notepad might be able to cope with it, hard to say.

Import the resulting file back to Excel.

HTH

Antonin

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Try this... Jun 30, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/58886-replacements_in_excel.html#448138

One of these might work ... I'm sure I've read something somewhere on the ProZ forums more recently on this very problem, but I can't find it now (maybe it was a post by Heinrich Pesch?)

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:47
English to Thai
+ ...
Find/Replace special characters in Excel Jul 1, 2008

Use Find/Replace special characters in Excel to "Replace all" in the worksheet or the entire file.
You can see line break marks and replace it with space etc.
If you can save as tab delimited file, open with MS Word. On Edit menu, go to Find> [check 'Highlight all'], select line break character from the special character tab, and press the Delete button to get rid of all line breaks at once. Import back to Excel.

Cheers,
Soonthon L.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Have you guys even tried what you're suggesting? Jul 1, 2008

Excuse me, but putting line breaks in tab delimited files will make it impossible to import those files in their original structure. Excel can export those, but not import them, same with Access.

And just replacing the breaks with nothing will give you textthat isglued togetherand looks reallyinteresting.

You may want to read up on a similar topic discussed in nothing will give you textthat isglued togetherand looks reallyinteresting.

You may want to read up on a similar topic discussed in this thread.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: We still don't know what you did exactly, Rufino, because you didn't mention what software you were using for the translation and what the steps involved were.
Collapse

Carlos Montilla
Carlos Montilla
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try this - It will work! Jul 1, 2008

Hi Rufino,

If you still haven't solved your problem, try this:

1) Select the text and copy it in word. The little squares will turn into line breaks.

2) Replace ^l for XCXCXC (every other strange combination will do). Also, replace ^p for XCXCXC, just in case.

3) Now copy the text in word and paste in excel. Make sure you still have the same amount of columns and lines as the original text.

4) Now replace XCXCXC for Alt+010 (this i
... See more
Hi Rufino,

If you still haven't solved your problem, try this:

1) Select the text and copy it in word. The little squares will turn into line breaks.

2) Replace ^l for XCXCXC (every other strange combination will do). Also, replace ^p for XCXCXC, just in case.

3) Now copy the text in word and paste in excel. Make sure you still have the same amount of columns and lines as the original text.

4) Now replace XCXCXC for Alt+010 (this is the line break in excel, that's why you cannot enter alt+enter).

Ready! Your little squares are now line breaks!

Good luck!

Carlos
Collapse

Carlos Montilla
Carlos Montilla
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's it! Jul 1, 2008

Hi Lori,

I asked the question in that post. The system worked for me!

Regards,
Carlos

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
I'm saving this info ... Jul 1, 2008

Carlos Montilla wrote:

The system worked for me!

Regards,
Carlos

Good to know, I'm saving this info for future use, as I have come across this problem before, and dealt with it manually. I will probably have this problem again someday and won't remember what the solution is ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Substitutions in Excel

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »