https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/109493-problem_with_table_of_contents_in_word_2003.html

problem with table of contents in Word 2003
Thread poster: Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:52
Member (2008)
French to English
Jul 6, 2008

I am working on a longish job in Word 2003 with a TOC that I made myself, original was a PDF. I was marking headings in the body of the content to be included in the TOC as usual ,using ALT+SHIFT+O and it seemed to be working properly. Halfway through I could no longer mark text - nothing happened when I pressed the keys and no error message. ALT SHIFT and O keys appear to be working properly for other applications. To check on the text I had marked so far, I went to the insertion point to i... See more
I am working on a longish job in Word 2003 with a TOC that I made myself, original was a PDF. I was marking headings in the body of the content to be included in the TOC as usual ,using ALT+SHIFT+O and it seemed to be working properly. Halfway through I could no longer mark text - nothing happened when I pressed the keys and no error message. ALT SHIFT and O keys appear to be working properly for other applications. To check on the text I had marked so far, I went to the insertion point to insert the TOC, it appeared to insert properly but print preview showed "error no table of contents found". Any ideas? I never had any problems with TOC before. I recently installed DNS 6, don't see how it could be a problem, but who knows. I can't think of any other changes I have made.Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Joan Jul 6, 2008

To mark the text content accordingly it is much better to work in the 'outline' view and choose the heading levels in the document - you may find this webpage useful: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/usingolview.htm

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problem with table of contents in Word 2003

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »