Mobile menu

Searching for word tally program
Thread poster: gfe
Local time: 04:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 11, 2008

For quality check purposes, I am looking for a program that will scan a text file and tally the different words. To clarify: I do not want to know that there are 1234 words, but that there are 123 "and", 234 "bread", 345 "butter" ... you get the idea. Capability to spot extended strings such as 32 "bread and butter" would be appreciated. Capability to remember and build incrementally from one scan to the next, ditto.
I suspect that such capabilities are present in some large/expensive packages, but what I hope to spot is something small and free.
Am I overlooking the obvious? Any suggestions welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:02
French to English
Several freeware options Jul 11, 2008

PlusTools (works best with files under 7000 words)

Read more about them here:

I have tried all three, and found that PlusTools extractor was best at finding "extended strings", but the file size is a really unfortunate limitation.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching for word tally program

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs