Problem with missing footnote
Thread poster: luka
luka
Spain
Local time: 21:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 14, 2008

I need to proofread a disaster document with lots of footnotes. Unfortunately the translator did not insert the footnotes with the proper Word tool and just wrote them like normal text. The client has asked me to insert them properly and so far no problem. But now one of the footnotes has disappeared!
While inserting one of the notes, I must have done something wrong and the footnotes skipped one number. When investigating what has happened I could see the note appears as deleted, so I can't edit it or do anything with it, but still counts as a note and numbers skip from 51 to 53.
Has anybody ever come across a situation like this?
Has anyone got a suggestion?
Thank you very much for your help

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:08
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Undo Jul 14, 2008

If you have not saved or closed the document, you can look in the "undo" list and undo the last changes you have made until you come to the deleted footnote.

xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:08
English to Finnish
+ ...
Get the missing footnote from the original file? Jul 14, 2008

luka wrote:

I need to proofread a disaster document with lots of footnotes. Unfortunately the translator did not insert the footnotes with the proper Word tool and just wrote them like normal text. The client has asked me to insert them properly and so far no problem. But now one of the footnotes has disappeared!
While inserting one of the notes, I must have done something wrong and the footnotes skipped one number.

Can you retrieve the footnote from the original copy of the file, and insert it into the copy you are working on?

luka
Spain
Local time: 21:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Jul 15, 2008

Thanks to everybody for your help. When I encountered with this problem I knew that Proz was the place to ask for help.

Another colleague sent me directly the solution, that I'll paste it below to help others:
I suspect that you’re editing footnotes with Word’s
“track changes” function turned on. If so, Word does
not really delete a footnote that you delete. The footnote
no longer appears on the screen, but the footnotes after it
retain the same numbers they always had.

Solution: turn off Word’s “track changes”. Delete the
“footnote reference number” in the text. Turn “track
changes” on again. With luck, the problem is solved.

Thank you again to everybody, and to Jackie in particular.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with missing footnote

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs