Mobile menu

Cannot spell-check when typing over source doc.
Thread poster: Nina Storey

Nina Storey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2008

Hi,

I am typing my translation over the source text but cannot get the spell-check to work.

I am using a MAC OS X and when I click "check spelling" the following message comes up:

"The spelling check is complete. Text set to (no proofing) was skipped. To find (no proofing) text, click Edit/Replace, click More, click Format, click Language and choose (no proofing).

I have tried to follow this choosing "no proofing" and "english language" and whatever I choose, the spell-check will not work in my document....even when I copy and paste it to a new blank word document.

Could it be because the document was set as a template or something like that? I really need to follow the original format, which is why I'm not just creating a new document.

Can any one help? And how do you normally go about spell checking when you type over the source document?

Sorry if this is a very simple question and something I should already know! Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
PC Aug 8, 2008

No Mac, I use a PC, but when I start working on typing over a source document, the first thing I do is "select all" and change the language to the target language. Then it spell-checks for the target language.

Will that work for you?

Nina Storey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Aug 8, 2008

Yes, that works - I cannot believe it was that easy!

Thank you very much Henry, now I know for future translations!

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
May Aug 8, 2008

May all your troubles be so easy to fix. Buona sera.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot spell-check when typing over source doc.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs