Thread poster: dalji
dalji
dalji
Canada
Local time: 16:07
English to Korean
Aug 8, 2008

Hello,
I've just received my first task from the company. They sent me the word documents that are apparently segmented and told me to translate on top of the segments(?). The instruction of viewing the segments came but it was for the MS2003 (Korean version). I use MS Word 2007(English version).. Any help would be appreciated!! Oh, and what is TM?

Thank you!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:07
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Could you please be more precise? Aug 10, 2008

Do you mean you got a text segmented as when using a CAT tool?
Or are you expected to use Wordfast/Trados or any other tool?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hidden text? Aug 10, 2008

dalji wrote:
The instruction of viewing the segments came but it was for the MS2003 (Korean version). I use MS Word 2007(English version).

Some programs that create bilingual segmented RTF files put the source text and tags in hidden text format. To see it, you have to enable hidden text view. Use the Help function in MS Word to find the setting for viewing hidden text. If I remember correctly, you have to press that round button thingy top left and then select some or other advanced activation or some such thing.

Well, I assume this may be what you're after, but there's no telling.

Oh, and what is TM?

Something the client assumed you knew something about, and you don't. The client should have been more careful. Read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_memory

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I view segments on Word 07?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »