German spell check on UK computer
Thread poster: erikaschmidt
erikaschmidt
Sweden
Local time: 13:58
English to German
Aug 18, 2008

Hi all,
As you can guess I'm new to translating and I'm trying to set myself up.
I'm German but I live in the UK and have an 'English' computer with Microsoft Word XP.
I believe that Word XP has got German Office Proofing Tools (spell check and dictionary). I was able to select German language through my control panel (in addition to English). However, the German spell check still doesn't work. Is this because I need to enable a German dictionary? How would I do this? Is there also a German Thesaurus? I'm not too experienced with computers. Can anybody help?

Thank you so much for your help and time.

Kerstin

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Make sure it's installed Aug 18, 2008

Correct, Word has this option, even with grammar check, but it is probably not installed on your machine. Go to Control panel, select Add or remove software, change or remove programs, then pick Microsoft Office from the list and click through the (advanced) options. You will need the installation disc. I do not have an English MS Office version here, so I cannot really help you with the details. I remember it was kind of tricky but with a little searching, you will get there.

And by the way: welcome to our profession!

Wolfgang

[Edited at 2008-08-18 21:17]

xxxOlaf
Local time: 14:58
English to German
You'll need to buy the MS Proofing tools/language packs Aug 18, 2008

The English versions of MS Office do not support German out of the box. Unfortunately, changing the locale to German or marking text as German in Office doesn't enable German spell checking.
Depending on your office version, you'll either need to buy the MS Proofing tools or the German MS Office language pack. For more information visit the following page:

Language Packs for the 2007 Microsoft Office FAQ
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/HA102113691033.aspx

In the meantime you could try to install FireFox and the free German language pack.
You could then copy and paste your translation in a web form and have it spell-checked in Firefox.

Olaf

erikaschmidt
Sweden
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 19, 2008

Thank you, your help is invaluable!
Kerstin

Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:58
German to English
+ ...
Spell checker Aug 19, 2008

If you have Wordperfect installed on your computer, you can also open the document in Wordperfect (or copy and paste it) and set the language to German so you can run it through the spell checker.

erikaschmidt
Sweden
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 25, 2008

Thank you for your time and help : )
I haven't yet installed Wordperfect. But I'll sort something out.
Kerstin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German spell check on UK computer

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums