Thread poster: Erik Hansson

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Sep 15, 2008

Dear ProZians,

One of my clients uses Word 2000 only and thus sends me doc files in this format. After having had Word 97, 2000 and 2003 on the same computer for some years now, I quit the two older versions some weeks ago and now only work with Word 2003. This has worked out fine until now.

However, today I noticed a problem I cannot solve. After having opened the Word 2000 file from client under Word 2003, and saved after translation, I notice that a field function changes automatically. This function contains the path where an inbedded picture is saved. After saving the file this path has changed completely.

Important to say, I have not processed these files with Trados or another CAT. I have also tried to save these files under Word 2003 as different (older) Word versions, but same result.

My word: Word 2003 (11.8227.8221) SP3.

If anyone has a bright idea, I would be very grateful as the only solution would be to switch to an old laptop which still has Word 2000 only - but this is not a very good solution.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Erik

Direct link Reply with quote

David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:03
Member (2007)
German to English
Not sure... Sep 15, 2008

Does Word 2003 still offer a "Compatibility" tab on the Options dialog (from the Tools Menu)? If it does (and you haven't tried it yet), perhaps setting the the "Recommended Options for:" combobox (or its equivalent) to the desired version will fix the behavior?

HTH,
David.

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Recommended options Sep 15, 2008

Hi David,
Thanks for your feedback about the "Recommended options". This was one of the features that I never tried out.
I just made a short test with several different Word versions, but unfortunately the result is the same. Thanks anyway!

David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:03
Member (2007)
German to English
Invite for other suggestions: Sep 15, 2008

Well, it was worth taking a look at. Sorry to hear that it didn't help, but now we know.

What type of path is used in the original field? Does it look like:

E:\pics\MyPic.Jpg
.\pics\MyPics.jpg
\\Server\DriveLetter\pics\MyPic.jpg

The first is an "absolute" path. The second is a "relative" path. The third is ... much more difficult to duplicate. I'm wondering if you can duplicate the client's directory structure sufficiently to put the pic on the same path as in the original.

Technobabble Warning.

A relative path would be easiet to duplicate, because it is relative to the location of the Word file. "." means the same directory as the Word file. ".." means the directory above the current directory. Therefore:

"..\..\pics\MyPic.jpg" means, from the Word file, go two directories up, and over to the "pics" folder to find the file "MyPic.jpg" (Go up two directories from the Word file, create a folder named pics, and stick the image in there.)

".\pics\MyPic.jpg" means in the same directory as the Word file, look for a folder named "pics" and find the file "MyPic.jpg" (In the same folder, create a folder named pics, and stick the image in there.)

The absolute path could trickier, depending on whether the indicated drive letter is already available. If it is, just create that path & place the picture file in it.

If not, then I would create a folder "Cust", and duplicate their path based on that. If the path is "K:\\Documents and Settings\\John\\My Pictures\\CorpPics\\MyPic.jpg", then I would create a folder "C:\Cust\Documents and Settings\John\My Pictures\CorpPics\" (the double slashes help the operating system deal with folder names which include spaces). Put the pic in that folder.

Then, from the File Explorer, I would right-click on the folder to get to its properties and mark it for sharing. Last step, either from File Explorer _or_ from DOS.

File Explorer:
Select the menu option path "Tools"|"Map Network Drive", which opens a dialog. Set the "drive letter" entry to match the one choosen by the customer (k:) and set the folder to "C:\Cust".

DOS Command:
Net use K: C:\cust

I suppose we might call this last step "basic algebraic substitution". Let "c:\cust" represent the variable "k:".

That last option, \\Server\DriverLetter\pics\MyPic.jpg, is trickier. If it is a name, then you would have to rename a PC with the same name as whatever is in the Server position, and it would need a share with the same drive letter. Changing the machine name will cause side-effects to your local area network configuration for as long as the machine is renamed.

The Server position could also be an IP address (192.168.1.1). The server name doesn't need to be changed, but the IP address for the machine would have to be. I have no idea where MicroSoft might have hidden that setting in the current version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving Word 2000 under Word 2003: Field functions corrupt

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs