https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/116315-what_software_do_i_need_for_spell_check_in_russian_and_portuguese.html

What software do I need for spell-check in Russian and Portuguese?
Thread poster: Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 18:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2008

I currently have MS Office 2003 on my PC. It allows me to type in all the languages I want: Spanish, Russian, and Portuguese (well, English goes without saying), and to spell-check in Spanish and English. However, I would like to be able to check grammar and spelling in Russian and Portuguese as well. I understand that I need to buy some additional software to do it, or upgrade what I currently have, but I’m just not sure what is it exactly that I need.

I spent some time on M
... See more
I currently have MS Office 2003 on my PC. It allows me to type in all the languages I want: Spanish, Russian, and Portuguese (well, English goes without saying), and to spell-check in Spanish and English. However, I would like to be able to check grammar and spelling in Russian and Portuguese as well. I understand that I need to buy some additional software to do it, or upgrade what I currently have, but I’m just not sure what is it exactly that I need.

I spent some time on Microsoft website, and I’m still not sure. So, here is my question to those who know way more about these things that I do: which one of the following do I need to buy:

1. An upgrade from MS Office 2003to MS Office 2007, or

2. Language Pack 2007, or

3. maybe both - as I'm not sure whether Language Pack 2007 will work with MS Office 2003, or

4. something else – I cannot even think what?

Thanks!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Proofing Tool Kit Sep 24, 2008

Search on eBay worldwide, it is still possible to get it (of course legal) from there.
With this tool you have the languages you need - approx. 40 of them
Otherwise you will indeed need Office 2007 with Language Pack.
Language Pack 2007 will NOT work with Office 2003.
But Proofing Tools 2003 will work with Office 2007, if installed on Office 2003 and PTK...
See more
Search on eBay worldwide, it is still possible to get it (of course legal) from there.
But Proofing Tools 2003 will work with Office 2007, if installed on Office 2003 and PTK

[Edited at 2008-09-24 19:41]
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jerzy Sep 28, 2008

Thank you for your answer, Jerzy.

Well, I tried on e-bay - no luck! So - Office 2007 with Language Pack... no way around it.

Thanks anyway!

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
MOLP Sep 28, 2008

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

Thank you for your answer, Jerzy.

Well, I tried on e-bay - no luck! So - Office 2007 with Language Pack... no way around it.

If yu have a lot of MS software to purchase, you may try the Microsoft Open Licence program (MOLP).
AFAIK the minimum purchase is 5 licences (you can combine several products) but you can choose a lot of tools inaccessible on the standard retail market, e.g. Office 2003.

It may be a litte bit slow.

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Proofing Tools 2003 oddities in Office 2007... Sep 28, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

True.
Unlike in Office 2000/XP/2003 series, the changes in the Office 2007 architecture are too big.

But Proofing Tools 2003 will work with Office 2007, if installed on Office 2003 and PTK

But some features don't work.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922383/en-us

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-09-28 10:15]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Beware of Portuguese for the time being Sep 28, 2008

As you don't list Portuguese among your working languages, beware of its variants!
Some explanation available at http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1675/

Nevetheless there is a spelling unification to become effective in a few months.
See some
... See more
As you don't list Portuguese among your working languages, beware of its variants!
Some explanation available at http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1675/

Nevetheless there is a spelling unification to become effective in a few months.
See some info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_reforms_of_Portuguese#The_Orthographic_Agreement_of_1990

So, for now, there are still two separate Portuguese (BR) and Portuguese (PT) dictionaries for spellchecking. Next year you'll hopefully have only one dictionary for Portuguese.

The different ways used to express ideas (as described in my article) used on each side of the Atlantic are expected to remain unchanged, as well as the strikingly different pronunciations.
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Gregorz and José Henrique Sep 30, 2008

Gregorz: I was hoping NOT to invest in a lot of MS software. I'd like to accomplish spell-checking without a huge investment, if such thing is possible.

Unfortunately, the software industry is constantly pushing you to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade - even if the old version is working perfectly well!

José Henrique: I truly enjoyed your article! My impression about the continental Portuguese speaker is that he is somewhat like Amelia Bedelia, a personage from a series
... See more
Gregorz: I was hoping NOT to invest in a lot of MS software. I'd like to accomplish spell-checking without a huge investment, if such thing is possible.

Unfortunately, the software industry is constantly pushing you to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade - even if the old version is working perfectly well!

José Henrique: I truly enjoyed your article! My impression about the continental Portuguese speaker is that he is somewhat like Amelia Bedelia, a personage from a series of children's books, a maid who understands everything literally. For example, when the lady of the house tells Amelia Bedelia "to draw the curtains", Amelia Bedelia takes out a pencil and a piece of paper and actually draws the curtains. Am I correct in my understanding?

I want to have Portuguese spell-checker not for professional reasons, but very personal ones. I have dear friends in Brazil, and I'd like to make sure that my e-mail to them are free from misspellings (not that they'd be offended, but just for my own peace of mind). I also would love to venture into Portuguese-language forum on this website without making a fool of myself. I once made a silly typo in a Spanish forum... oops... embarrassing in the extreme!

Thanks for your advice!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What software do I need for spell-check in Russian and Portuguese?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »