Thread poster: JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 01:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2008

I'm pulling an all-nighter on an editing job, using the Review function of Word 2007. Even though the document is in English, the default language for my comments (in the marginal balloons) appears to be Spanish. With the small print, they are practically unreadable with wavy red lines under everything. But, I don't want to turn off automatic spellchecking because, well, you know! I'm a good speller but I miss things sometimes.

So, I'm having to manually select the text of each comm
... See more
I'm pulling an all-nighter on an editing job, using the Review function of Word 2007. Even though the document is in English, the default language for my comments (in the marginal balloons) appears to be Spanish. With the small print, they are practically unreadable with wavy red lines under everything. But, I don't want to turn off automatic spellchecking because, well, you know! I'm a good speller but I miss things sometimes.

So, I'm having to manually select the text of each comment and change the language. I've tried everything I can think of. Can anyone please help?

Thanks!

Jane
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:25
English to German
+ ...
Change the language for the "Comment text" template Sep 25, 2008

Hi Jane,
I'm using a German Office version, so the commands may differ.

Go to Format - Templates and formatting; you should see a template called "Comment text" (or similar). Change the language of this template.

Caveat: This will affect new comments entered, but not necessarily existing ones (try it).

Best regards,
Ralf

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where do I find templates? Sep 25, 2008

Thank you, Ralf. I'm using Word 2007, which has no Format menu per se. I've been through all the ribbons and haven't found anything yet. "New Comment" is on the "Review" ribbon, but I can't find any option to change the template. I've searched MSWord Help with "template" as a keyword, but the options that come up don't appear to apply.

Any suggestions?

Later: OK, I seem to have solved the problem, though I'm not sure I'm happy about the solution. On the Review ri
... See more
Thank you, Ralf. I'm using Word 2007, which has no Format menu per se. I've been through all the ribbons and haven't found anything yet. "New Comment" is on the "Review" ribbon, but I can't find any option to change the template. I've searched MSWord Help with "template" as a keyword, but the options that come up don't appear to apply.

Any suggestions?

Later: OK, I seem to have solved the problem, though I'm not sure I'm happy about the solution. On the Review ribbon, I clicked "set language" and changed the default language for all future documents to English, and now my comments are coming up as English as well. Previously I had set English as the language for that document, but the comments still came up as Spanish.

I can see myself setting a new default language six times a week... but for the moment, my immediate problem is solved.

Thanks for getting me started in the right direction! I still would like to be able to find a "comments" template and set the language on that alone.

[Edited at 2008-09-25 07:23]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No idea for Office 2007 Sep 25, 2008

Sorry - FTTB I don't touch Office 2007 with a barge pole...

Best, Ralf

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks anyway. Sep 25, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Sorry - FTTB I don't touch Office 2007 with a barge pole...

Best, Ralf

That's precisely my feeling about Vista, and the new Outlook, and Trados, and a couple of dozen other things. But I really like Word 2007 now that I'm used to it. This is the first issue that has really stumped me, and it doesn't count because I never used Comments or Track Changes with the 2003 version.

It's 3:38 am here and I'm getting a little punchy, so I'd better go finish that job. Thanks, Ralf--I do so love the Internet! How can I feel isolated when I can ask a question at three in the morning in Puerto Rico and get a response within minutes from a friend in Germany?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Style Sep 25, 2008

I do not use MSO 2007 either, but in my 2003 it would require changing the language under "Modify style" for the style called "Comment Text" (within Styles and formatting)

HTH

Antonin

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That did it! Sep 25, 2008

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

I do not use MSO 2007 either, but in my 2003 it would require changing the language under "Modify style" for the style called "Comment Text" (within Styles and formatting)

HTH

Antonin

Thank you, Antonín! You pointed me in the right direction, looking for "styles" as opposed to "templates."

In case any other 2007 user wants to know: On the Home ribbon, go to Styles > Change Styles > Comment reference > Modify > Format (a little button on the bottom left) > Language.

I'm too busy with this job to try it out but I'm almost certain this is what I was looking for.

Many thanks to Ralf and Antonín, and to everyone else who read my post and would have helped if they could.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I set language for comments?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »