Is it wise decision to upgrade office 2007 from the platform of Win XP?
Thread poster: keshab
keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:52
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 16, 2008

Dear all,

My OS is Win XP SP2. Recently I decide to upgrade my office 2002. Searching the Microsoft site I found office 2007 and downloaded its trial version. As far as I test, its quite ok (although I do not use Trados till now). But its excess graphical design puts me in doubt that whether this form of office is more suitable for Win Vista than Win XP.

What do you think?

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That was OK with me Oct 16, 2008

Hi Keshab,

I upgraded to Office 2007 last week. So far I'm OK with it. In the beginning, I also thought it had too many graphical information, but then I got used to it. Word is working well with Trados, although I couldn't figure out why it is assuming different shortcuts from the ones that appear in TagEditor (???).

But, when I installed my new HP C4280 printer, a problem occurred with Word. Every time I open a document, even if I don't make any changes to it, when I
... See more
Hi Keshab,

I upgraded to Office 2007 last week. So far I'm OK with it. In the beginning, I also thought it had too many graphical information, but then I got used to it. Word is working well with Trados, although I couldn't figure out why it is assuming different shortcuts from the ones that appear in TagEditor (???).

But, when I installed my new HP C4280 printer, a problem occurred with Word. Every time I open a document, even if I don't make any changes to it, when I close it, a mistake appears! Searching Microsoft knowledge base, I discovered it is a known problem and that HP is aware and is working to solve that and bla, bla, bla... But I can tell you it is being a burden!

A friend of mine installed both Vista and Office 2007 at the same time. She had tons of problems with Trados and with Vista as well. I think Vista is still too unstable. But we have to adapt to the new technology, right?

Heloísa
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:22
Polish to English
+ ...
Graphical Design Oct 16, 2008

Your operating system has nothing to do with the look of the software. I use Office 2007 at work on Win XP Pro and it runs fine.

The problem with Office 2007 as opposed to its older versions is a completely rearranged user interface for (it seems to me) no apparent reason. If you are not experiencing problems with your version of Office, I would stick with it.

If you really feel you need to upgrade, try to find a copy of Office 2003. I don't know if any vendor will stil
... See more
Your operating system has nothing to do with the look of the software. I use Office 2007 at work on Win XP Pro and it runs fine.

The problem with Office 2007 as opposed to its older versions is a completely rearranged user interface for (it seems to me) no apparent reason. If you are not experiencing problems with your version of Office, I would stick with it.

If you really feel you need to upgrade, try to find a copy of Office 2003. I don't know if any vendor will still carry the product. I think that was the best version of Office - stable, efficient and powerful. Office 2007 is a step backwards in useability.

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:22
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Classic Menus in MS Office 2007 Oct 16, 2008

I too found the drastic change in menus/ribbons in MS Office 2007 very off-putting. But I have installed menus like those of Office 2003, from AddinTools - http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/ which give it a much more familiar feel. Cost USD29.95, well worth it in my opinion.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I am not going to upgrade to 2007, Oct 17, 2008

because I haven't heard any good word about this version from the people I know. I second PAS: try to find a copy of 2003.

However, if it looks OK to you, why would you ask?

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Problem with Office 2007 Oct 17, 2008

Apart from an different user interface, the more serious problem with Office 2007 is that it stores files in an entirely different format (.docx) which is not compatible with the earlier (.doc) format.

Although it is possible to save a .docx file as a .doc file, it is a big pain to do this with every file you create.

Many clients still don't have Office 2007, and so if you send them a .docx file (by mistake, if not by design), they get perplexed and complain loudly.
... See more
Apart from an different user interface, the more serious problem with Office 2007 is that it stores files in an entirely different format (.docx) which is not compatible with the earlier (.doc) format.

Although it is possible to save a .docx file as a .doc file, it is a big pain to do this with every file you create.

Many clients still don't have Office 2007, and so if you send them a .docx file (by mistake, if not by design), they get perplexed and complain loudly.

So I have decided to stick with Office 2003 for the time being, till Office 2007 becomes more universally adopted (which may very well be never, for Open Office is an equally good option, and it is entirely free).
Collapse

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Pros and cons of the software Oct 17, 2008

Thanks to all for your valuable opinions. Most probably I'll go for office 2003 but at present I am trying to gather experience of this graphics oriented software (free trial version).

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Thanks Bala! I was unaware about the problem and it is really a problem! There is a option in 'Save as' menu "Word 97-2003 document" but we have to always cautious at the time of saving the document

esperantisto wrote:

However, if it looks OK to you, why would you ask?

Microsoft has recently released this version and we have to know all pros and cons of the software. As Bala said, we will get extra headache to save the document. And another problem I want to add that my favourite MS photo editor has gone and in place of that there is Microsoft office picture manager which is, in my opinion, is not so friendly.

Thanks to Jack Doughty and PAS for your valuable advise.

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa wrote:
I think Vista is still too unstable. But we have to adapt to the new technology, right?

Yes, you are right. but not for Vista, please.

Phil Bird
Phil Bird
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
.docx Oct 19, 2008

I upgraded mainly because I could get it cheap, and I thought that the ability to use .docx files might be useful.

So far, I like - but I have had to play "hunt the feature" quite a few times - it's like learning to use a new application.

Having said that you CAN open .docx files in Word 2003 - There's a compatibility pack
... See more
I upgraded mainly because I could get it cheap, and I thought that the ability to use .docx files might be useful.

So far, I like - but I have had to play "hunt the feature" quite a few times - it's like learning to use a new application.

Having said that you CAN open .docx files in Word 2003 - There's a compatibility pack here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

so with that in mind - it's up to you...
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:22
Polish to English
+ ...
2003 format not a problem Oct 20, 2008

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

If you choose "Word 97-2003" in the option "Save files in this format", you will always save your work in 2003 format (i.e. it becomes the default format for saving your work, you don't lose the setting when you leave Word).
You will then see the words [compatibility mode] on the top strip of the application, beside the file name.

I have seen the option revert to DOCX on one or two computers, but only once or twice and it never happened to me...

I can live with the funeral-black graphic layout (the other two are too painful to my eyes), I got rid of the ribbon and adapted the quick access strip to sort of resemble my Word 2003 layout, I twiddled the other functions to make 2007 behave like 2003, but that's time lost and still some functions doth a royal pain give to find them....

Best,

Pawel Skalinski

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it wise decision to upgrade office 2007 from the platform of Win XP?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »