Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

When I use Open Office Writer (actually Star Office Writer, a smaller version, but with the same problem) on one computer, and then work with it on my main computer in Word, I have this problem:

If I highlight the text when using OE, I can't remove the highlighting when I open it in Word. I have to retype the text out again.

It's not a major problem, but it turned me off Open Office a year or so ago, as I was worried there might be other problems with it.

... See more
When I use Open Office Writer (actually Star Office Writer, a smaller version, but with the same problem) on one computer, and then work with it on my main computer in Word, I have this problem:

If I highlight the text when using OE, I can't remove the highlighting when I open it in Word. I have to retype the text out again.

It's not a major problem, but it turned me off Open Office a year or so ago, as I was worried there might be other problems with it.

Yet I like using it, and, although I have only started using it very recently, one thing I like - precisely and ironically - is the range of highlighting colours. It's not that I want a wide range of colours, but the ones in Word that are not too dark are fairly few.

Does this happen to anyone else? What can be done?
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:45
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe it could help Oct 17, 2008

I do not know what is a reason of this particular problem, but if you want to get rid of the highlighting you can do so in several ways:
- use format painter in Word to copy highlight free format to the highlighted fragment,
- Use function removing any formating,
- cut highlighted text and than paste it back but choosing option leave text only or if you have problem with that than copy this text to Notepad, copy it in notepad and paste back in Word.

At least it wil
... See more
I do not know what is a reason of this particular problem, but if you want to get rid of the highlighting you can do so in several ways:
- use format painter in Word to copy highlight free format to the highlighted fragment,
- Use function removing any formating,
- cut highlighted text and than paste it back but choosing option leave text only or if you have problem with that than copy this text to Notepad, copy it in notepad and paste back in Word.

At least it will save you retyping

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This is a known issue: Oct 17, 2008

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=24317
But why would not you install OOo on your main computer as well?

Natasa Grubor
Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:45
English to Serbian
+ ...
Open Office: highlighting problem Oct 17, 2008

When in MS Word, select highlighted text, then go to menu Edit - Clear - Formats. It always works for me.

BR,
Natasa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open Office: highlighting problem

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »