Transferring Word settings (spellcheck, autocorrect... etc)
Thread poster: Elin Davies

Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
Oct 22, 2008

My trusty old Windows 2000 (I know, so archaic!) computer is beginning to struggle with the modern world, and so I'm thinking of upgrading to a younger model before this one drops dead on me (I did have a few back-up comps, but have somehow managed to give them away to family members).

Most things I can re-install on a new machine and it will work exactly as I'm used to from the get go, in a shinier, brighter way. The one thing I'm not sure how to do/if I can do is transfer the auto correct options I've built up over the years, as well as the custom dictionary from word (2002). I'd hate to have to start all that from scratch again, and I seem to remember when working in house somewhere that the nice guy from IT was able to save my settings when he had to do something drastic to my PC and reinstall once he was done so that I didn't lose them all.

Thanks in advance for any tips and pointers

Elin

Direct link Reply with quote

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Startup folder Oct 22, 2008

I have always transferred all my Word settings, including autocorrect, by copying the startup folder. I did it just a month ago and found again everything on the new machine just like it was on the other one. Not sure about the dictionaries, though, as I don't use Word's spellchecker.

You find this folder normally here:
C:/Programmes/Microsoft Office/Office

HTH!

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:59
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Migrate Normal.dot or your Normal.dot settings Oct 22, 2008

Hi Elin,

You could see what happens when you transfer your old Normal.dot to your new system. Will your new computer run Office 2002?

If your know how to handle Word macros I can send you two macros Yves Champollion published in 2004. The macros save and restore AutoText entries, custom shortcuts, autocorrect entries and Word macros.

Regards,
Gerard

United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Christel and Gerard Oct 22, 2008

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I can try both options as a belt and braces measure.

I'm still in the planning stage at the moment, looking into laptops and hoping to buy either next month or December, having threatened to do so for a long time. If possible, I'll use XP with Office 2002, but might have to give in and take Vista if I can't get XP from somewhere though hopefully not (I've used Vista on other computers and didn't take to it very much).

I know nothing about word macros Gerard, but am always willing to learn, especially as it sounds like it does exactly everything I want to do. I don't necessarily want word to be the same as it is at the moment (it has a few gremlins in the works), but the squiggly red line saves me so much time, let alone my eyesight, and I've managed to add most of the words I always mistype to auto correct over the years. The Welsh word spell checker for word/open office is very good, but I've taught it quite a bit by now, and don't want to lose that, or have to manually reload it all again if I can help it.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:59
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Word 2007 Oct 23, 2008

Slight diversion from the topic, but can settings be transferred in any of these ways between Word 2000 and Word 2007? The latter is so different from all previous versions of Word that I wonder if it is possible.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:59
English to Czech
+ ...
No way Oct 23, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

Slight diversion from the topic, but can settings be transferred in any of these ways between Word 2000 and Word 2007? The latter is so different from all previous versions of Word that I wonder if it is possible.

The Word 2000/2003 document (settings) template is .doc, the word 2007 template is .docx, not going into further technical details.

Mihaela BUFNILA  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:59
English to Romanian
+ ...
Or.... Oct 23, 2008

If MO 2000 has such an option, you could try Start>Programs>Microsoft Office>Microsoft Office Tools>Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard.

It worked perfectly for me.

HTH

United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mihaela and everyone else Oct 23, 2008

This seems to be the ideal solution Miheala - and so simple when you know how! I'll experiment with saving my settings once I've finished everything I'm doing at the moment as it will be good to have them backed up anyway, and then I'll transfer once my new toy arrives (I'm currently torn between Sony Vaio and HP Compaq... hopeless at making decisions )!

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Normal.dot Oct 23, 2008

Elin Davies wrote:

This seems to be the ideal solution Miheala - and so simple when you know how! I'll experiment with saving my settings once I've finished everything I'm doing at the moment as it will be good to have them backed up anyway, and then I'll transfer once my new toy arrives (I'm currently torn between Sony Vaio and HP Compaq... hopeless at making decisions )!

It's a good thing, Elin, to backup your Normal.dot (that stays in the Startup folder, or the whole folder straightaway) now and then. In case something happens (and Word messes up things itself from time to time... ) you are always on the safe side and get back your toolbars, settings and so on immediately.

Good luck with your new toy:-)!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transferring Word settings (spellcheck, autocorrect... etc)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs