How do you count words of a multi-MS Access database transactional website?
Thread poster: Oeildelynx
Oeildelynx
Oeildelynx  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:02
English to French
Oct 31, 2008

Hi everyone,

A prospect customer asked for a price estimate for a translation of his website.

The problem is he has a huge transactional site and I don't want to scare him off the bat with an erroneous wordcount.

The website is comprised of three huge MS Access databases. Each database contains various files with prices, html code, navigation menus, item names, catalog numbers, product descriptions, etc.

So far, I tried to get a word count by
... See more
Hi everyone,

A prospect customer asked for a price estimate for a translation of his website.

The problem is he has a huge transactional site and I don't want to scare him off the bat with an erroneous wordcount.

The website is comprised of three huge MS Access databases. Each database contains various files with prices, html code, navigation menus, item names, catalog numbers, product descriptions, etc.

So far, I tried to get a word count by exporting manually each file from the database to an Excel file using the Access 2007 software; I also tried to import those database files in Excel 2007, and it is already easier since I skip about five moves.

There must be a better way to do this, though! Do you know one I could use to export or import the files in batch, maybe to an XML file (Word files suck at it though).

My desktop computer is equipped with Windows Vista and Office 2007 with Access 2007, Excel 2007, Word 2007 and more (it is the Integral Suite of Office 2007 I believe), while I thought I could copy the converted files on a portable computer on which Trados' Tag Editor and the rest of the SLDX-Trados 2007 (freelance) is installed.

And how do you convert the translation back in an Access-usable format using a CAT tool?
Please help me; I really want that job!

Patrick
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:02
English to Turkish
+ ...
This one may help Nov 1, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/94153-how_to_translate_an_ms_access_file.html

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 11:02
English to German
+ ...
try httrack. Nov 1, 2008

Hi! I do not have the weblink though, but this is a good tool ( check on google ) , to download full site and run it on the local computer, you can then take the html pages to trados and do the word count. BR Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you count words of a multi-MS Access database transactional website?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »