Thread poster: Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 1, 2008

Word 2003 had a very useful wordcount box. All you needed to do was to select the text (the characters you wanted to count - with or without spaces) and to click the "count" button.

I've recently changed to Word 2007 and unfortunately, that box is nowhere to be found. Instead, every time I need to count the characters of one word, I must select a word, click a button and I see the whole thing "characters with spaces, characters with no spaces, lines, etc.". However, it's not as use
... See more
Word 2003 had a very useful wordcount box. All you needed to do was to select the text (the characters you wanted to count - with or without spaces) and to click the "count" button.

I've recently changed to Word 2007 and unfortunately, that box is nowhere to be found. Instead, every time I need to count the characters of one word, I must select a word, click a button and I see the whole thing "characters with spaces, characters with no spaces, lines, etc.". However, it's not as useful as the one before, because you cannot skip to the next word before clicking OK and restarting the procedure all over again. It takes a lot of time. I used to do it so quickly and easily...

Also, is it possible to count characters with/without spaces in Excel? Some of my clients have sent me prepared sheets in which the character number appeared, in a column next to the text I was writing, while I was writing. It would be extremely useful if I could learn how to do it without asking them. Anyway, I'm inclined to do so if I don't get help from anyone else. I was just wondering if you knew anything about this.

Thanks a bunch!

[Edited at 2008-11-01 14:13]
Collapse

elena_manta
elena_manta
Local time: 15:52
Romanian to English
+ ...
All you have to do in Word 2007 is to click Words tab in the lower-left part of your screen. Nov 1, 2008

Teresa Bento wrote:

Word 2003 had a very useful wordcount box. All you needed to
do was to select the text (the characters you wanted to count - with or
without spaces) and to click the "count" button.

I've recently changed to Word 2007 and unfortunately, that box is nowhere to be found. Instead, every time I need to count the characters of one word, I must select a word, click a button and I see the whole thing "characters with spaces, characters with no spaces,
lines, etc.". However, it's not as useful as the one before, because you
cannot skip to the next word before clicking OK and restarting the procedure
all over again. It takes a lot of time. I used to do it so quickly and easily...

Also, is it possible to count characters with/without spaces in Excel? Some of my clients have sent me prepared sheets in which the character number appeared, in a column next to the text I was writing, while I was writing. It would be extremely useful if I could learn how to do it without asking them. Anyway, I'm inclined to do so if I don't get help from anyone else. I was just wondering if you knew anything about this.

Thanks a bunch!

Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know, but... Nov 1, 2008

elena_manta wrote:
All you have to do in Word 2007 is to click Words tab in the lower-left part of your screen.

Thanks, Elena. I know how to do it that way.
However, I was asking about the quick access toolbar that allowed the user to select whether to count with or without spaces. I think this link should clarify what I'm trying to say: http://www.kerryr.net/images/webwriting/word_count_tbar.gif

That toolbar used to make my life easier because I had access to the specific information I wanted (with or without spaces) and it was also quicker, because I didn't need to click ok in order to bring up the menu for the following word or segment to be translated, in order to proceed.
Checking the characters of a whole document used to take me just a little while and now it can take hours...

I'm still looking forward to know if you guys know anything about character counting in Excel. All help is appreciated!

Thanks,
T.

Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Local time: 21:52
Japanese to English
Counting characters, etc. in Excel Nov 3, 2008

Also, is it possible to count characters with/without spaces in Excel?

Can't help with the Word issue, but I have a free program that can get word/characters counts for Excel files (among others):
Count Anything.

I hope it can be useful!
Regards,
Ryan

Silvia Bocheva
Silvia Bocheva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 15:52
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
counting characters in excel Nov 3, 2008

Hi,
the function for this is =LEN(A1), where A1 is the cell address.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Word count Nov 6, 2008

Go to Tools, select Word count, choose Select toolbar, you'll get the box the way you wanted.
Close Word count.
You will be left with the word count box, and you can move it anywhere onto your toolbar for future use.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting characters (with and without spaces) in Word and Excel 2007

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »