Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 21, 2003

If you have only an English version of Word 2000-2002, which has spelling checking only for the bigger languages like French, Spanish and German, but you need to write i.e. Finnish, is it possible to add the dictionary for Finnish from a MS-Works version for Finnish without changing everything into Finnish?
Because if one installes a Finnish version of Word the installation process will install also IE and Outlook Express and even update parts of Windows into Finnish. But the owner of the computer is American without any understanding of Finnish and would not be very pleased.
So how to extract only the spelling dictionary from a Works CD?

Direct link Reply with quote

Matthew Roy, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:28
Swedish to English
+ ...
Microsoft Proofing Tools your best bet Jun 21, 2003

I would suggest that you consider purchasing Microsoft Proofing Tools. I believe the price is only around USD 70.00, for which you receive the dictionary and grammar tools for 48 languages (including Finnish). Follow the link below for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/display.asp?subid=22&site=10989&x=47&y=13

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've got the dictionary Jun 22, 2003

The proofing tools are about 200 USD including shipping or 130 euros here in the shop.
But I have lots of spelling dictionaries for Finnish in Word, every time I buy a new computer I get Works or Office, but I want, that someone could use these without needing to update his whole computer into Finnish, which would be the result if he would install those software packages.

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
German to Croatian
+ ...
MS Hotline? Jun 22, 2003

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

... every time I buy a new computer I get Works or Office, but I want, that someone could use these without needing to update his whole computer into Finnish, which would be the result if he would install those software packages.

How about contacting the MS Hotline in your country? If anybody, they should be able to tell you if this can be done or not.

BTW, Proofing tools won't change anything on your computer.

Best regards,

[Edited at 2003-06-22 21:27]

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:28
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
WHat about: Tools - Options - Dictionairy - Add? Jun 23, 2003

Can you pick up the Works dictionairies with that Or are they a different format (wouldn't be surprised...)

Valters Feists  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
adding spelling dictionaries Jul 13, 2003

Yes, it can be done.
It involves the files on C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/PROOF (but not *.dic files via Word's Options).

Plus, the Windows registry may need to be tweaked. There must be instructions somewhere out there on the Net.
Be careful when "re-engineering"!

[Edited at 2003-07-13 14:44]

Odette Grille  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:28
English to French
+ ...
Adding my dictionary to Word on Mac OSX Jaguar. Jul 13, 2003

Word on OS9 version had a checking function where I could add words to my dictionary but no more...Or do I have the wrong settings ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

adding spelling dictionaries to Word

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs