Mobile menu

Unrecoverable disk error in Word 2003
Thread poster: Roberto Crivello

Roberto Crivello  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:38
Member (2006)
English to Italian
Nov 23, 2008

Recently, without having installed anything new, Word has started giving this errror: After a certain number of successful savings, it might happen that when I try to save the file, this message pops up:

There is an unrecoverable disk error on file ~WRL2044.tmp.
The disk you're working on has a media problem that prevents Word from using it.
Try the following:
* Try formatting another disk
* Save the document to another disk.

After I close this and a couple of other windows that follow (there's no choice but to click OK), the file is lost completely, no autorecovery is available. (Since I always use Trados with Word the translation is not lost so I can re-create the Word file, but still is annoying and also some bit of what I wrote might get lost anyway.)

Has anyone bumped into this error and/or knows hot to get rid of it? On the web there's very little about this error. Couldn't find a simple, fast solution.

(Did a tune up recently so everything else is working fine on my system. I haven't tried reinstalling Word yet and I would rather avoid it unless really needed.)

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:38
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Check simple things first Nov 23, 2008

Have you checked your disk space? If you're out of disk space, perhaps Word is unable to create its temporary files, that would also account for lack of auto recovery. You may also have enough disk space for application files, but you may have consumed the space allocated for your paging file; if this is the case, your system would be running extremely slow, coming to a stand-still every now and then to swap contents of virtual memory.

If none of the above is the problem, it may be worthwhile running a file system check to find and fix file system errors or bad sectors. To do this, open "Computer", right-click on your hard disk drive (usually drive C: ), choose "Properties", click on the "tools" tab, then click on the "check now" button. Check the box for "Automatically fix file system error" and preferably check also "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors", although the latter will make a slow operation even much slower. You will then be asked to restart your computer, which you should do. As the system starts, it will first go through the file system checking phase.

Let's hope that one of the above works.

[Edited at 2008-11-23 01:35 GMT]

Federica Pariani  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
Same problem occurring from time to time Nov 23, 2008

I have plenty of free space on my disk and still the same error message pops up from time to time. The result is the same: file (hours of work) completely lost. Last time I had to use a recovery software to look for the lost file in the PC memory and it took a couple of hours.
I use Word 2003 (version in English) on two different computers (desktop PC and laptop) and the problem occurred on both computers. Never encountered this problem when working with Wordfast, just when typing directly in the word file.
I do not know much about computers, but my feeling is that there is something wrong with the Word 2003 version. It is probably unstable. At the moment I am always saving a backup file, just in case. I am planning to install a different version of Word to see if the problem still persists.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Looks like some clone of a Word macro virus Nov 23, 2008

One of such viruses (older version) was this one:

It usually deactivates antivirus software. I believe, there was a patch at Symantec website, but unfortunately, I don't remember the exact virus name, but it activates on 23rd of every month. Today is 23rd...

English to Polish
Second, check more complicated things Nov 23, 2008

Roberto Crivello wrote:

There is an unrecoverable disk error on file ~WRL2044.tmp.

"Alla" answer is correct but only corrupted data (crossed files) can be repaired for good.
If you have "bad sectors" on your disk, than the number of "bads" will probably increase with time, hence correcting "bads" could give a temporary effect only.
I advice you to undertake a "more complicated" action.

1. Your hard disk drive is giving you a warning that within a day , week , month or year your HDD will go into fault.
2. You are playing a risky game, may be in the near future the backup copy made by Trados will also be unrecoverable and may be you will not be able even to start Windows.
3. As long as the system works, there is a chance to make a rescue copy of everything you have in your computer. Everything means not only "My documents" , but also all programs , histories, registers, e-mails. Even installed hardware configuration and Windows registration will be copied. (Note: You should have clear system at the moment of making the backup. If you have "crossed" files - they will remain "crossed", if you have a virus - it will be also stored ). This job is also named as "disk partition backup".
There are few programs for the job. One of them is "Paragon Hard Disk Manager".
4. As a minimum you should make a snap shot of your hard disk (disk partition) and store it on one (or few) DVD. Having this DVD you will be able to recover the whole system in the future.
(Personally I do not wait for error communicate, or virus. A DVD with partition back up is laying on my shelf waiting for a bad time to came).

5. Of course it is also possible that the error is a result of virus or data corruption in your system. In any case computer is your tool. Since you have errors I would recommend you to buy a new hard drive, make a copy of your system (partition) , transfer that copy to your new hard drive and use it (the old one laying on your shelf should wait for worst time to came).

[Edited at 2008-11-23 21:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unrecoverable disk error in Word 2003

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs