Page Footer Displayed As All Fields
Thread poster: carlisaac
carlisaac
Local time: 00:49
German to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2008

I'm currently translating a document from German into English, with the standard footer "Seite 2 von 3" (Page 2 of 3). Usually, the words "Seite" and "von" would be displayed as standard text, but in this case, they are displayed as fields with a gray background.

When I toggle the field codes, I see:

{REF scf_leit_seite \*MERGEFORMAT} {PAGE \*MERGEFORMAT} {REF scf_leit_von \*MERGEFORMAT} {NUMPAGES \*MERGEFORMAT}

The problem is that when I update the fields in my translation, I get the message "Error! Reference Source Not Found". Although these fields appear to be references, I can't figure out what they are referencing. The source text, on the other hand, seems ok.

I have tried changing the text via File --> Properties, but the references scf_leit_seite and scf_leit_von are not shown in the Properties box. I've also tried to change the text via the Visual Basic editor, which initially seems to work, but when I update the fields again, I get the same problem.

Can anybody advise? I'm using Microsoft Word 2002 SP3, and no translation tools have been involved.

Thanks very much!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change settings in Word Nov 25, 2008

In Word go to Tools (Extras in German), chose Options (Optionen) and select the View (Ansicht) tab. Deselect "field codes" ("Feldfunktionen"). Your view should be normal then.

carlisaac
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Field shading not a problem Nov 25, 2008

Sorry, perhaps I didn't phrase my question clearly enough. The problem isn't that the fields are displayed in gray. I need to change "Seite 2 von 3" to "Page 2 of 3". However, I can't simply overwrite the text because it's a field. My question is where can I access this text to enter the translation?

Thanks!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Edit within the field Nov 25, 2008

If I understand you correctly, the word "Seite" is within the field and appears grey.
Then switch to field codes and edit them.
What I was reffering to was not field shading, but field codes display.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Page Footer Displayed As All Fields

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs