anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:22
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2008

Dear All,

Maybe the title was not very inspired, but here is my problem.
I work with MS Office 2003.
Since yesterday, I noticed that when selecting a piece of text or a sign even, with the intention of writing something to replace it, the text is not overwritten, it's still there, next to what I wanted to replace it with. It may be more than easy to reverse it, but I have no idea how to do it and it's becoming really annoying...
See more
Dear All,

Maybe the title was not very inspired, but here is my problem.
I work with MS Office 2003.
Since yesterday, I noticed that when selecting a piece of text or a sign even, with the intention of writing something to replace it, the text is not overwritten, it's still there, next to what I wanted to replace it with. It may be more than easy to reverse it, but I have no idea how to do it and it's becoming really annoying.

Thank you.
Ana
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 04:22
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Tools > Options Dec 2, 2008

Find 'Options' under the 'Tools' menu.

Under the 'Edit' tab, check the box 'Typing replaces selection'

(my labels may not be word-for-word, as I'm back-translating from the FR version of Word!)

anamaria bulgariu
anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:22
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 2, 2008

I really appreciate it.

I wonder how I did it though. Never mind. I may have pushed the wrong buttons again)))

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 04:22
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Normal.dot Dec 2, 2008

You may have suffered a corruption to your normal.dot template, or it may have been lost/deleted and a new one created. I think you'll find that the 'overwrite' option is unchecked by default at installation.

Also, you may have inadvertently pressed the 'INS' key — this toggles the feature on/off (though I don't know if it actually affects the check box setting). It's all too easy to do this by accident, depending on the layout of your particular keyboard — in this case,
... See more
You may have suffered a corruption to your normal.dot template, or it may have been lost/deleted and a new one created. I think you'll find that the 'overwrite' option is unchecked by default at installation.

Also, you may have inadvertently pressed the 'INS' key — this toggles the feature on/off (though I don't know if it actually affects the check box setting). It's all too easy to do this by accident, depending on the layout of your particular keyboard — in this case, you may (or may not!) see the legend 'INS' or 'OVR' appear in Word's bottom status bar (for some reason I don't understand, it doesn't always seem to be present on my system!)

[Edited at 2008-12-02 10:49 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word doesn't OVR when deleting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »