anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:46
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2008

Dear All,

Maybe the title was not very inspired, but here is my problem.
I work with MS Office 2003.
Since yesterday, I noticed that when selecting a piece of text or a sign even, with the intention of writing something to replace it, the text is not overwritten, it's still there, next to what I wanted to replace it with. It may be more than easy to reverse it, but I have no idea how to do it and it's becoming really annoying.

Thank you.
Ana

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:46
French to English
+ ...
Tools > Options Dec 2, 2008

Find 'Options' under the 'Tools' menu.

Under the 'Edit' tab, check the box 'Typing replaces selection'

(my labels may not be word-for-word, as I'm back-translating from the FR version of Word!)

anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:46
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 2, 2008

I really appreciate it.

I wonder how I did it though. Never mind. I may have pushed the wrong buttons again)))

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:46
French to English
+ ...
Normal.dot Dec 2, 2008

You may have suffered a corruption to your normal.dot template, or it may have been lost/deleted and a new one created. I think you'll find that the 'overwrite' option is unchecked by default at installation.

Also, you may have inadvertently pressed the 'INS' key — this toggles the feature on/off (though I don't know if it actually affects the check box setting). It's all too easy to do this by accident, depending on the layout of your particular keyboard — in this case, you may (or may not!) see the legend 'INS' or 'OVR' appear in Word's bottom status bar (for some reason I don't understand, it doesn't always seem to be present on my system!)

[Edited at 2008-12-02 10:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word doesn't OVR when deleting

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search