Mobile menu

Word 2003: Keyboard shortcut for Tools> Options> View> Hidden text?
Thread poster: Caro Maucher

Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:28
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 2, 2009

When proofreading bilingual Trados files and the translator seems trustworthy, I usually display only the target text and only show the source text when something seems fishy. Now I'm looking for the quickest possible way of showing/hiding the source text. So far, I have inserted the 'Options' button in one of my toolbars, so I can click there, put or delete the checkmark next to 'Hidden text', and click OK. That's 3 clicks. Or I use the keyboard shortcuts ALT+T, ALT+O, ALT+I, Enter. That's 4 keys. Now I love fiddling with keyboard shortcuts (Right-click in the toolbar space, Customize, Keyboard, ...), but I haven't yet found out how to arrange a one-stop keyboard shortcut for showing/hiding hidden text. Is this at all possible? I'm using Word 2003, SP3.

And just for the sake of conversation, do you have favourite keyboard shortcuts? I like using CTRL+Y for counting words (very handy for subtitling) and CTRL+N for highlighting.

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:28
French to English
+ ...
Ctrl comma Feb 2, 2009

Works with Wordfast - I don't see why it shouldn't work with Trados unless it's already assigned to something else?

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CTRL Comma doesn't work... Feb 2, 2009

but thanks all the same, Claire!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ctrl * Feb 2, 2009

Hi Caro,
You need to toggle the display of non-printable characters - either using the shortcut (Ctrl *, which on my keyboard translates into Ctrl Shift +), or via a button that shows a paragraph break sign (similar to a reverse "P").

You may need to manually deactivate the display of hidden text once, if that was explicitly activated.

HTH, Ralf

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice one, Ralf! Feb 3, 2009

Hi Ralf,
Thanks a lot, this is great!
I might get annoyed pretty quickly with all the other symbols that suddenly become visible, but that's another story. This sure is quick'n'easy! Thanks a lot! (c:
Have a nice day,
Caro

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Other shortcuts I've created Feb 3, 2009

Like Caro, I use a s/c for counting words (though I use a different key combination).

The other one I find very useful is 'Paste special: unformatted text' — this enables me to copy text from source doc (or segments) without screwing up my langauge settings, and also, to copy text from elsewhere (like a PDF, and XLS, or a table, for example) while keeping the base formatting of my working doc. I use Ctrl + Shift + V for this (I never used whatever that combination was previously assigned to) — so it nicely mimics the Ctrl + V for ordinary paste.

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for sharing! Feb 4, 2009

Thanks, Tony, I implemented your shortcut for Paste Special right away and I love it already. I've always hated having to reformat phrases I copied and pasted from my own concordance search!
Is it possible to set the shortcut directly to the option 'unformatted text' though? So far I'm getting a window where I have to choose 'unformatted text' from several options, which slows me down again.

France
French to English
+ ...
'paste special unformatted' Feb 4, 2009

Yes, Caro, I found the same thing, but there is a solution: I wrote this little macro to do that job (courtesy of one of our other colleagues, whom unfortunately I failed to credit in my macro!), and then I think it's fairly easy to find out how to use a keyboard shortcut to call up the macro.

Sub PasteUnformattedText()
'
' PasteUnformattedText Macro
' Macro créée le 02/07/2008 par APM
'
Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText
End Sub

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You know, I learnt something today Feb 5, 2009

(to quote Stan from South Park): Macros are probably more afraid of you than you are of them! I never touched the things before, but with a little help from Tony and http://www.officeletter.com/favtips/wordmacros.html I now have 3 (!!) new ones. Since the PasteUnformattedText worked so nicely I went right on and made one for HideHiddenText and another one for ShowHiddenText, complete with keyboard shortcuts, so I even got an answer to my original question. Plus the morale boost of having done it myself. Ha! :*)
(Only now I have two shortcuts. Is it possible to have only one for toggling?)

Makes me wonder what other shortcuts might be out there that I never dreamed of...

Anyway, thanks a million, Tony!

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another useful shortcut Feb 9, 2009

Another Word shortcut I found yesterday and that would probably have saved me several days of my life by now (had I but known) is Shift+F3 for toggling between CAPITALS and um, the opposite. Enjoy!

France
French to English
+ ...
Shift + F3 — better still...! Feb 9, 2009

Yes, I too discovered this one only comparatively recently!

Better still, did you notice that it toggles successively through ALL CAPS, all l/c, and Initial Caps?

I am still learning about all the short-cuts available, someone the other day did post a very useful link to a file that lists ALL the MS Word default keyboard shortcuts; also, you might not have found that under Tools > Customize, if you display 'all commands', you get loads and loads of extra ones that don't all seem to be listed under the individual menu groupings ('File', 'Edit', etc.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003: Keyboard shortcut for Tools> Options> View> Hidden text?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs