https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/12694-word_count_in_powerpoint.html

Word count in PowerPoint
Thread poster: Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:07
Latvian to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2003

I have to calculate the wordcount in a PowerPoint file, which contains a large number of charts/diagrams and textboxes. Does anyone have a reliable method for calculating the word count, without having to use Deja Vu or Acrobat? (I only found one previous thread on this subject......)
Many thanks.

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 02:07
German to English
+ ...
PDF --> RTF Jul 17, 2003

Hello,

you can make a pdf and save the pdf as rtf file.

Hans

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Did you try Practicount? Jul 17, 2003

Practicount counts PDF files as well.
Try it at www.practiline.net

Good luck!

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Experience with Practicount? Jul 17, 2003

Another question, rather than an answer - sorry!

I've just looked at the link on the last posting and have seen that Practicount counts PPTs as well. Can anyone confirm whether it counts ALL text in PPTs, including text boxes?

Thanks

Ian

trad500
trad500
English to French
Powerpoint wordcount Jul 17, 2003

I recently had the same problem and here is what was suggested to me:
Open Microsoft Word, go in "File" and click on "open". Then, just highlight the powerpoint file. Then click on tool (top right of the icon), go into "properties", then "statistics", and you'll find the number of words.

Hope it helps...

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:07
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Powerpoint properties Jul 17, 2003

Hi:

Without opening the PowerPoint file, just select it and with a click on the right button of the mouse, open the panel. Select "properties", and clicking on the "Statistics tab", you'll see how many words are in the file.

Regards,

Clarisa

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Careful ... Jul 17, 2003

Yes, but be careful because the PowerPoint word-count doesn't pick up everything, for example it often ignores text boxes. Always check it manually as well.

Ian

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Result...... Jul 17, 2003

Thank you for your recommendations. I'm pleased to report that I got the same word count by using Practicount and also when simply right-clicking on the file icon and selecting 'properties'. (Although in an earlier thread, I do remember someone commenting that they got different wordcounts).

IAN - so that you know, Practicount gives you the option of including textboxes in the wordcount (check under 'settings').

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
German to English
+ ...
alternatively Jul 25, 2003

If you already have the file open anyway, do the same thing by clicking on File, Properties, Statistics.

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Hi:

Without opening the PowerPoint file, just select it and with a click on the right button of the mouse, open the panel. Select "properties", and clicking on the "Statistics tab", you'll see how many words are in the file.

Regards,

Clarisa

jmd (X)
jmd (X)  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Differences in counting - Practicount - pdf > rtf Jul 27, 2003

In one of my recent PPT jobs, the difference between the (source) word count done in Practiline + the stats (right-click .ppt, statistics) versus a .pdf file saved as .rtf or .txt was 30%. The exported target source count was smaller than the .rtf source count by 10%, as I had expected (sometimes translations shrink in TL, yes). I think you really have to be careful about what method you'll agree on with your client or you can very easily shortchange yourself. In my view, inserting translation ... See more
In one of my recent PPT jobs, the difference between the (source) word count done in Practiline + the stats (right-click .ppt, statistics) versus a .pdf file saved as .rtf or .txt was 30%. The exported target source count was smaller than the .rtf source count by 10%, as I had expected (sometimes translations shrink in TL, yes). I think you really have to be careful about what method you'll agree on with your client or you can very easily shortchange yourself. In my view, inserting translation in boxes should be charged by the time it takes you to do that.Collapse

jmd (X)
jmd (X)  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Word count in Powerpoint Jul 27, 2003

You don't need a full Acrobat package to turn your .ppt file into a .pdf file. Find a utility called "Cute PDF Printer" on the web, install it, set your choice of printers to Cute Pdf Printer, print ppt file and your're done. To export a text from the pdf, simply set view to Continuous, copy and paste into Word, or use the Access add-on for Acrobat 4.05 to export.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count in PowerPoint

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »