Mobile menu

Word in Office XP - autoformat is erratic
Thread poster: Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
Local time: 04:49
French to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2009

Over the past week and a bit, I have noticed some erratic behaviour with Word 2002 (incorporated into Office XP). I like to have quotation marks changed to "smart" quotes, and hyphens changed to en dashes. It has always worked fine until just recently. Now I find that the autoformat will sometimes work correctly, and sometimes not - even within a single sentence. If I highlight the offending quotation marks and re-type over them, the smart quotes appear.

I've tried disabling and re-enabling the autoformat feature, but without success. Unfortunately, I cannot tell whether the problem started with a Microsoft update or with a new version of Wordfast.

Am I alone in experiencing this problem? Does anyone have any ideas what would resolve it for me? (The problem started on my old machine just before I replaced it last week, and I've installed everything from scatch on the new machine, so I know it's not a hardware configuration problem).

Thanks in advance,

Edit: I think I've noticed a pattern. Autoformat seems to change the first quotation mark or apostrophe it encounters , but no subsequent ones. If I'm using Wordfast, this resets when I move to the next TU.

[Edited at 2009-03-04 10:14 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You are not alone... Mar 4, 2009

and also Word 2003 behaves sometimes like this.
I do not know any reasons, so I've simply learned to live with this.
However, this erratic behaviour can be IMO observed mostly with customer documents, which are nearly always badly formatted. When I start to write on my own, this behaviour is better.
OTOH, I switched nearly all autoformatting off, leaving just numbered and buletted lists and quotation marks there. All other functions were not a help but more an obstacle for me.

Best regards

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Lucida Console in & out quotes can be inserted as symbols Mar 4, 2009

After reading this, I tried some experimenting in Word. Opening and closing quotation marks, as opposed to straight ones, are not available in the more common fonts such as Times New Roman and Arial, but they are present in Lucida Console. They can be set up as shortcut keys and inserted that way where you want them into text in any font. Would this help?

[Edited at 2009-03-04 11:05 GMT]

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:49
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Turn off autocorrect, Mar 4, 2009

and use llya Birman’s typographic keyboard layout to get quotation marks and required dashes.

Matthew Butt
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for the input so far Mar 4, 2009

Thanks for all your suggestions. There are certainly a number of work-arounds available. They're just more time-consuming than if the wretched thing would work properly - as it has done for five years!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word in Office XP - autoformat is erratic

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs