Mobile menu

Print function closes Microsoft Word
Thread poster: xxxIanW
xxxIanW
Local time: 18:41
German to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2003

In recent weeks, whenever I try to print Word files, Microsoft Word closes the document and all others without printing, and then leaves temp files in its wake.

I have Microsoft Word 2000, XP operating system, a Lexmark Z65 printer and work a lot with Trados. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Have you tried assigning more memory to Word? Aug 1, 2003

Ian Winick wrote:

In recent weeks, whenever I try to print Word files, Microsoft Word closes the document and all others without printing, and then leaves temp files in its wake.

I have Microsoft Word 2000, XP operating system, a Lexmark Z65 printer and work a lot with Trados. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Just an idea - bearing in mind that I use a Mac and have Microsoft Word 98 - something like that happened to me a few months ago and I fixed it by assigning more memory to Word. But maybe it's some other problem in your case. I also increased the overall RAM memory in my computer and have had no more trouble with printing Word files since then - fingers crossed:-)

Good luck!

Sheila

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just another idea Aug 2, 2003

A lot of problems with Word are caused by a corrupted Normal.dot template.
What you could do is to locate your "Normal.dot" (it is located in a folder "c:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\templates or similar - I´m using german Win 2k...) and simply rename it to Normal.old. Try then. If it works, then your Normal.dot (old one, because Word will create a new one - empty - as soon as it is started) is corrupted. If you have auto textes and other options in your old Normal.dot, you can import them (allmost all settings) to your new Normal.dot. Choose Tools - templates and add ins - organise (or something similar, once again I´m using German) and then close the "Normal.dot" in the right window, click open, select "all files" and open "Normal.old". Then you can copy your formating settings and other options.

BTW, the german paths are:
c:\dokumente und einstellungen\username\anwendungsdaten\microsoft\vorlagen
Extras - Vorlagen und add ins - Organisieren

Kind regards
Jerzy

Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 19:41
English to Romanian
+ ...
Looks like you have a printer driver problem... Aug 2, 2003

Ofcourse, unless you were able to use the printer before with MS Word. In this case, maybe your Office installation has gone nuts.
Anyway, may I suggest you re-install your printer? This might help...hopefully.

Regards from Bucharest,
Doru Voin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Print function closes Microsoft Word

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs