How to change text "embedded" in a custom style
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:22
English to Spanish
Mar 29, 2009

My document has frames for section headings and, within those frames, text such as "Section X. Nnnnnn".

I can edit the Nnnnnn (title of the section) but I cannot edit the identifier: "Section X", which seems to be part of the style. Thus, when the TOC is updated, the titles show just as translated but the word "Section" remains. I can change it to "Sección" right on the TOC but that won't affect the actual headings throughout the document.

The Modify option in the St
... See more
My document has frames for section headings and, within those frames, text such as "Section X. Nnnnnn".

I can edit the Nnnnnn (title of the section) but I cannot edit the identifier: "Section X", which seems to be part of the style. Thus, when the TOC is updated, the titles show just as translated but the word "Section" remains. I can change it to "Sección" right on the TOC but that won't affect the actual headings throughout the document.

The Modify option in the Styles and Formatting menu does not offer the choice to change that embedded text; at least I have not been able to find how. Online research did not yield results either. Of course, it must be somewhere since someone did it, in the first place.

I use Word 2003.

Does anyone have the secret to this feature?

Should I keep on investing precious time trying to solve this or should I warn the agency and quit trying? It really is getting on my nerves!
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
Format > Bullets and numbering Mar 29, 2009

Hi Luisa,

Have you checked under Bullets and numbering? There are four tabs, and you might find "Section x" as a user-defined style somewhere (probably under the right-most tab). When you see it, select it and click "modify"

Regards
Rie

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
English to Spanish
Numbering option Mar 29, 2009

Hi, Luisa.
The text is probably a numbering option. Try right-clicking on the sentence, then select Bullets and Numbering. The numbering option used in the paragraph will be highlighted for you. Then click on the button next to the two radio buttons on the lower part of the dialog box (I think it's called Custom). In the new window you should be able to change the custom text.

I hope it helps.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
It was there Mar 29, 2009

Thanks to both of you. I had navigated those features but the text was almost hidden. I noticed there were some characters in a box, selected it to "copy and paste" to see what it was and, voilá, the text appeared and I was able to change it.

Thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change text "embedded" in a custom style

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »