Mobile menu

How can I turn off tracking changes in Word 2007?
Thread poster: Paul Dixon

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2009

I am doing a translation and something strange happens, anything I write appears in blue, and anything I delete is not deleted but crossed out, and also shown in blue. Is there any way to eliminate this feature? I know that in previous issues of Windows there was a command to this effect but I have found nothing in Vista yet. Please help.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-02 21:09 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:18
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Paul Apr 2, 2009

I assume, you are doing your translation not in "Vista", but in perhaps in MS Word, right? Your description reminds me the tracked changes in Word...

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, in Word with a Vista system Apr 2, 2009

Yes, the file is in Word with a Windows Vista system. In any case, I have not found the command to eliminate these tracked changes (my system is in Portuguese, and here they are called "marcas de revisão").

The strange thing is that previous editions of Word had a command to do this, but Word 2007 apparently has nothing. If someone could shed light on this, it would be very much appreciated.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Please Apr 2, 2009

take a look at this website:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-track-changes-in-a-word-2007-document.html

There is a video showing where exactly this option is.

HTH,
Natalia

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Vista Apr 2, 2009

Paul Dixon wrote:

Yes, the file is in Word with a Windows Vista system.

Hi Paul,

It is really quite irrelevant whether you are using Vista or another operation system. What matters is that you are using MS Office 2007. (I, for example, have MS Office 2007 on a Windows XP platform and the procedure would be the same.)

Otherwise, Natalie's link should help.

Daniel

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:18
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TRK Apr 2, 2009

There should be a grey bar at the bottom of your screen with the letters TRK in it. When you double-click on that, the track changes tool is turned off.

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 05:18
English to Spanish
CTRL+SHIFT+E Apr 3, 2009

Just press CTRL+SHIFT+E. You can use this shortcut to toggle Track Changes on and off.

Luck.

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you & little problem Apr 3, 2009

First of all I would like to thank all who have answered.

I have read the instructions in Dummies as requested and it worked, but one little problem - if I save the file and then later open it again to resume work, the tracked changes are back. Isn't there a way to remove them for good?

By the way, I can't find any grey bar at the bottom of my screen.

Another curiosity - the colour of the changes has suddenly changed from blue to red. And when I disabled the tracked changes it only counted from the middle of the file - so now I have part with and part without changes showing.

It's all in the bloat Jul 10, 2010

Hi

Use OpenOffice. Open the 'offending' document, save it. Reopen in Word and the annoying tracking will stop, at least it did for me.

This problem affected several documents I was using, and they 'infected' each other, I could clear the markup, turn off the tracking but it still came back.

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I turn off tracking changes in Word 2007?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs